Nikon P7000 camera
Nikon P7000 Coolpix Camera
Announced on Sep 8th, 2010
I've never been the biggest fan of Nikon compact cameras, and never thought they were the best choice for underwater photography.
With a long zoom range of 28-200mm, I don't expect the new Nikon P7000 to be a winner either for underwater photos. Let's see what underwater housings come out for them. Remember - longer zooms often mean not-so great wet lens options for underwater photos. This is because ports for longer zoom lenses need to be larger, and the wet lens can't be as close to the built-in lens as it should be.
This camera is supposed to be a competitor to the Canon G11.
Let's look at the Nikon P7000 specs:
- 10 megapixel sensor (same size sensor as the G11 / Canon S90 & S95)
- 720p HD video
- RAW mode, full manual controls
- F2.8 lens, 28-200mm zoom range. Not as good as the Canon S95's F2.0 lens
- Great LCD size & resolution (3 inch, 921,000 dots), good battery life
- Works with Nikon's iTTL speedlights - good for topside shooters
- Hot shoe, optical viewfinder
- $500 estimated retail price
DP Review has image previews here
SUPPORT THE UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDE:
The Best Service & Prices on u/w Photo Gear
Visit Bluewater Photo & Video for all your underwater photography and video gear. Click, or call the team at (310) 633-5052 for expert advice!
The Best Pricing, Service & Expert Advice to Book your Dive Trips
Bluewater Travel is your full-service scuba travel agency. Let our expert advisers plan and book your next dive vacation. Run by divers, for divers.