Nauticam Housing for Panasonic GX7
Nauticam Housing for Panasonic GX7
High-Quality Aluminum Housing for Panasonic GX7 Mirrorless Camera
By Brent Durand, February 20, 2014
Nauticam has announced their new housing for the Panasonic GX7. The GX7 has proven to be a popular camera option in the Panasonic Lumix lineup and boasts several new features (outlined below). Nauticam has a reputation for building excellent housings for mirrorless cameras and the NA-GX7 will be no exception. Underwater photographers will quickly notice Nauticam's intelligent engineering, quality and ease of use.
Panasonic GX7 Camera Highlights
- Hybrid capture as 16MP Photo or Full HD Video 1080/60p
- In-body stabilitzation for non-stabilized lenses (important when using 3rd party lenses)
- 3-level foccus peeking to ensure sharp focus
- Improved low-light performance
- Biult-in WiFi
Nauticam NA-GX7 Housing Hightlights
- Prgressive Shutter Release - easy to focus and shoot
- Redesigned Port Latch - easily switch ports with DSLR-like system
- Excellent ergonomics and access to all important camera functions
- Supports wide range of lenses
- Many accessories available
Official Press Release:
Nauticam is pleased to introduce the NA-GX7 aluminum camera housing for the Panasonic GX7 mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. Nauticam is the dominant manufacturer of professional grade aluminum underwater housings for mirrorless cameras and the NA-GX7 will be the clear choice for shooters of this versatile new Panasonic. Both camera and housing are bristling with technology packaged in a lightweight, rugged and easy to operate system.
The Panasonic DMC-GX7
The GX7 proves to be a sophisticated evolution of what has been great about the previous Panasonic Mirrorless cameras and a notable response to the features found on competitor’s models in this hotly contested enthusiast’s market segment.
Like previous Panasonics, this camera offers impressive video specs including 1080 60P in MPEG-4 or AVCHD format. But the biggest changes are served up to still photo shooters. Perhaps the most striking new feature is an articulated electronic viewfinder with 2.76 million dot resolution that provides striking detail. Panasonic has even achieved near 100% AdobeRGB color accuracy on the EVF – another first. A new in-body image stabilization system helps improve slow shutter and low light capabilities – even when shooting Olympus or third party lenses. The new 16 MP CMOS sensor has improved image quality and better low-light characteristics (a claimed 25% S/N improvement). Underwater shooters will embrace the 1/320 of a second shutter sync speed, 1/8000 top shutter speed, and close to five frames a second High Continuous mode when shooting RAW. The GX7 also offers true two command dial operation that allows for the type of instant manual or semi-manual control that underwater photographers need.
The GX7 is easily Panasonic’s most well rounded offering yet and should readily appeal to fans of the popular Micro 4/3 lens format.
The Nauticam philosophy for engineering and building the finest underwater housings in the world is simple. Think beyond what has been done before, work with the most demanding photographers on the planet, deliver beyond expectations, and never rest on past accomplishments – no matter how excellent. The results can be seen in everything from the smallest accessory to the most elaborate cinema based housing.
The extreme programmability of the GX7 is embraced with Fn1-4 all available in the housing. The superior video function that Panasonic is famous for is instantly accessible on the NA-GX7. Camera and housing provide an ergonomic powerhouse that will please the most critical Micro 4/3 shooter.
With the GX-7, Panasonic has introduced a camera that will challenge the best the mirrorless camera market has to offer. Nauticam has created the only underwater housing that is equal to that challenge.
Nauticam believes that every lens that makes sense to be used underwater should be supported, and the existing lineup of ports for m4/3 lenses is extensive. Nauticam carefully evaluates new lenses, and is often first to market with support when a new lens is offered. One of the advantages of the m4/3 system is that lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic can be used, and between the two, an excellent selection of lenses for underwater use is available, from the Panasonic 8mm fisheye to the Olympus 60mm macro.
Examples of supported lenses for GX7
- Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Power OIS
- Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH
- Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm F2.8 ASPH Power OIS
- Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f/2.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S.
- Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm 1:2.8 PRO
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2
- Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6
Nauticam supplies a wide range of optional accessories that make the rig very customizable. For example, Nauticam’s NA-DP4 housing for the Small HD DP4 Monitor can take video performance to another level by rendering the video image in a position more amenable to the shooter. The monitor housing easily mounts to the top of the NA-GX7 and utilizes the optional HDMI Bulkhead for true HDMI connectivity. Utilizing DP4 features like Focus Peaking, Focus Assist, False Color, 1:1 Mapping and more, this larger monitor vastly improves composition, focus capability and exposure. Nauticam produces a “straight” 180º enlarging viewfinder and a 45º angled enlarging viewfinder to enhance the ease of close quarters work often associated with macro shooting. Both viewfinders have high quality optics that allow viewing of the entire image. A patented external dioptric adjustment allows personal adjustment to a sharp-as-a-tack standard underwater and viewfinder changes can be executed in less than 30 seconds without using tools. Exceptional composition and focus accuracy have never been more accessible.
Optional accessories available for the NA-GX7:
- Interchangeable back window (#17752) to allow 180º Enhanced Viewfinder or 45º Enhanced Viewfinder use
- Complete line of ports and gears for all major lenses
- Locking port extension rings
- Monitor Housing for SmallHD DP4 Monitor and Atomos Ninja-2 Recorder/Monitor
- Fiber optic cables for Inon and Sea & Sea
- Full line of mounting accessories for lighting, including mount balls, strobe adapters, arms, clamps, and specialty items
- Multiple styles of lanyards
- Lens holders, including flip-up
- Vacuum Check Valves
- Nauticam Super Macro Converter
- Depth Rating: 100m
- Weight: 1.08 kg
- Dimensions (with handles mounted): 193mm x 128mm x 99mm
Where to Buy
Please support the Underwater Photography Guide by purchasing your underwater photography gear through our sister site, Bluewater Photo & Video. Click, or call them at (310) 633-5052 for expert advice!
SUPPORT THE UNDERWATER PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDE:
The Best Service & Prices on u/w Photo Gear
Visit Bluewater Photo & Video for all your underwater photography and video gear. Click, or call the team at (310) 633-5052 for expert advice!
The Best Pricing, Service & Expert Advice to Book your Dive Trips
Bluewater Travel is your full-service scuba travel agency. Let our expert advisers plan and book your next dive vacation. Run by divers, for divers.