Diaphorodoris lirulatocauda?

Not sure what your nudibranch is? Post it here for identification!

Moderator: Dave Behrens

Postby Zig » Sat May 29, 2010 3:07 pm

I spotted this little guy in 35 fsw at Old Marineland in Palos Verdes, CA. I have attached two photos. This first is for size reference on the orange puffball sponge. It was about 1cm. Based on the photo in David's book Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs, I believe it's a Ridge-tailed Dorid (D. lirulatocauda). What do you think?

Thanks!
Zig
D. lirulatocauda1.jpg
Attachments
D. lirulatocauda2.jpg
Heavily cropped
Zig

Postby Kevin Lee » Sat May 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Zig, nice find! Think I'll place my bet on your ID. Have never seen one of these (that i gno of). Thanks for posting this beauty. Cheers, k;-)
Kevin Lee

Postby Zig » Sat May 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Kevin Lee wrote:Zig, nice find! Think I'll place my bet on your ID. Have never seen one of these (that i gno of). Thanks for posting this beauty. Cheers, k;-)

Thanks, k! Yeah, I was surprised to not find a picture of one on the ID websites I typically use (yours included). I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for more at that location.

Cheers,
Zig ;)
Zig

Postby scottg » Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 am

very impressive find! This is first I've heard of one photographed in Southern california, great job.

Looks like you're becoming quite a nudie finder.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby Zig » Sun May 30, 2010 10:09 am

scottg wrote:very impressive find! This is first I've heard of one photographed in Southern california, great job.

Looks like you're becoming quite a nudie finder.

Scott,

Thank you very much! :) Ever since taking a camera underwater last year, I put my eyes in macro mode in search of nudis. OML is a great "hunting ground" for them. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again and get a better picture. When taking the pic, I thought for sure that it was a juvi C. luteomarginata, so I just snapped a few quick shots and moved on. I'm stoked at least one of them turned out!

Cheers,
Zig
Zig

Postby Dave Behrens » Mon May 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey Zig:

Just a comment - all these little white tuberculate dorids are a real gugger to ID. These include the Aldaria's, Akiodoris, Diaphorodoris and Onchidorids. Would have liked to seen the rhinophores extended more, but I will go with your ID.

Good show.

Dave
Dave Behrens

Return to Nudibranch ID