i could use some tips :)

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby Zig » Wed May 26, 2010 8:05 am

amrala wrote:i already using the Av mode :) but this nudibranch were placed on 20ft and there was a big surge

i have a question what is the better when the MACRO mode is on to be very near from the subject or a lit bit far and i use the zoom ?
:)

From what I have read on this site, and from my own experience, using a zoom in UW photography is rarely successful, unless, perhaps, you're shooting in very shallow, bright water. The reason is simply, light, or lack thereof. If you use the zoom to bring the subject "closer", you're still physically far from the subject, which is usually too far for the strobes to effectively light the subject.

If you're in macro mode, you'll have a closer focusing distance, allowing you to focus more crisply, and allowing your strobes to do their job.

Happy shooting!
Zig
Zig

Postby scottg » Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 am

I have to respectively disagree with Zig - zooming changes the focal length which definitely has a purpose. Otherwise we'd always shoot with the widest lens possible :)

For macro with a compact camera I like to zoom in half-way for small stuff and skittish fish, and you'll still get close enough to completely light the object with your strobes.

Zooming will also change the perspective, which will change your composition.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby cyberon » Wed May 26, 2010 3:36 pm

I'll have to agree with Scott, shooting at the widest setting and the internal strobe for small objects, even with the diffuser, can cause part of your image to be not properly lighted due to the housing port obstructing the strobe.
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby Willie » Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 pm

Hello Amr
Allways go as close to a subject as the subject allows you and the camera to get to.
I suggest not to use the zoom. As closeer you get to a subject as better will be the picture you are taking. Try to work with the uwphotographyguide.com . Here you will find most answers by reading the articles.
Regards Willie
Willie, Switzerland, http://www.FotoDive.ch
Willie

Postby cyberon » Thu May 27, 2010 7:39 am

Willie wrote:I suggest not to use the zoom. As closeer you get to a subject as better will be the picture you are taking.

There are exceptions to this rule as he is shooting with the G11 using the built in flash! The closest focusing distance of the G11 is 1cm, for slow moving objects without zooming, you can get too close to a point that your built in flash can't light the image properly. The important thing here is try the various settings and conditions until you are satisfied with the results.
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby Zig » Thu May 27, 2010 8:13 am

scottg wrote:I have to respectively disagree with Zig - zooming changes the focal length which definitely has a purpose. Otherwise we'd always shoot with the widest lens possible :)

For macro with a compact camera I like to zoom in half-way for small stuff and skittish fish, and you'll still get close enough to completely light the object with your strobes.

Zooming will also change the perspective, which will change your composition.

That's a great idea! I never really thought about zooming in a bit for the smaller macro critters. I'll have to give it a try.

Cheers!
Zig
Zig

Postby Zig » Sat May 29, 2010 3:46 pm

I tried to use the zoom while in macro mode for some small nudibranchs with my Canon SD790. For some reason, it would not focus while in macro mode with any zoom activated. Must be a result of the "lower end" happy-snappy. It did, however focus while zooming in "wide angle" mode.

Zig :roll:
Zig

Postby amrala » Mon May 31, 2010 12:29 pm

guys what do u think?
i took this with the following settings
canon g11
ISO 100
F5.6
flash : on
Macro : on
AV Mode
auto white balance
Attachments
IMG_0863_1.jpg
Amr A. Abdul-Majeed
Canon G11,Canon WP-DC34 Housing
amrala

Postby scottg » Mon May 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Amr, I like it a lot! Nothing really to complain about :)

Zig - try testing your macro capability when zooming topside first. You might have to back up further than you had thought, the min. focus distance will change.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby amrala » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:38 am

thanks a lot scott :)
Amr A. Abdul-Majeed
Canon G11,Canon WP-DC34 Housing
amrala

PreviousNext

Return to Underwater Photos