Any Dx-2 users?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Ryn » Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 pm

G'day, this is my 3rd year of diving, and I’m upgrading my Canon Ixus 850 with ikelite housing to a Sea & Sea DX-2 pro set (inc. a YS-110a and w/a lens). The DX-2 is based on the Ricoh GX-200 (a noisy compact…so I hope it’s positive features are enough to offset that). I know the G11 would also have been a great buy and has lots of users here. I’m disappointed to find very few DX-2 reviews of any depth on the web, including from this site… does anyone here use a DX-2?
Ryn

Postby James » Wed May 26, 2010 7:14 pm

I don't know anything about that camera specifically other than it seems to have a loyal following. There is a fellow on the Scubatoys board who shoots one and he has some excellent photos posted with his. He also adapted a Fisheye UWL-04 lens to his camera. If you need a link I imagine I can find it.

I also find it interesting that the DX-2 is the camera that Jerry Greenberg, Alert Diver, winter issue, 2010 says he enjoys shooting, his has some custom features.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby scottg » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Shawn is who you are talking about James, he's on the board here as DevilDiver, and I'm sure he'll chime in.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby DevilDiver » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Ryn,

Congratulations on your purchase, I will be very interested to see what you think of the camera/housing.

I have the DX 2G and have been very pleased with it for topside photography and u/w. I believe that you will really enjoy using this camera, it is not only one of the better P&S options for u/w but it is a lot of fun the use.

If you have any questions on the setup just let me know, I will do my best to answer. I would be intersted in your thoughts on the camera and any photos when you get your camera.
"DevilDiver"
Shawn Rener
DevilDiver

Postby Fishtracker » Sat May 29, 2010 3:22 am

Hi Ryn,

I have been using the DX-1G for about 18 months now and I am very happy with it. I love the versatility that a compact has compared with a DSLR. Rob is using a Nikon D60 and soon to be upgrading to a D300s which is big and bulky. You can view our shots on Flickr.
Hope this helps, Sue.
Fishtracker

Postby Ryn » Sat May 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks all for your responses! I’ve followed up on your links. I expect it’ll take time to produce good images (given I’ve not used a strobe or manual settings before) but I will have a few weeks of diving at Lady Musgrave Island over June-July to play with my new kit, and I’ll be very happy if I eventually achieve anything resembling the photos of Shawn or Sue. I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the offer of answering any set-up questions, Shawn, I expact I'll have a few when I get back.
Sue, my family’s in McCrae, although I’ve only breifly dived there once (Rye pier), as I now live in Canberra. It’s good to know there’s so much of interest in that area; I’ll have to drag my Divemaster sister-in-law out for another go with my new DX-2G :) We might even see you out there one day!
Cheers, Ryn.
Ryn

Postby Fishtracker » Sun May 30, 2010 2:49 am

Hi Ryn,
We are winding down now for the winter but let me know when your down this way later on in the year and we'll go for a dive.
Sue
Fishtracker

Postby Ryn » Sun May 30, 2010 3:00 am

Sounds great, Sue! I'll let you know.
- Sharyn
Ryn

Postby DevilDiver » Mon May 31, 2010 7:52 am

Sounds good, have fun!

Make sure to give us a update when you get back.

-Shawn
"DevilDiver"
Shawn Rener
DevilDiver

Return to Compact Camera Corner