Learning to use my Equipment-

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby krfoote » Sun May 23, 2010 6:08 am

U.S.S. Emmonds, WWII ship sunk in Kamakazi attack in 1945 off the coast of Okinawa Japan.

This was the first real dive trip i have been on with my Nikon D70, After trial and error (and a little photoshop) i managed to get a few decent images. I hate that i had to use photo shop as much as i did, but many of them were so washed out that i had no choice.

Any advice you have feel free to send it.
Attachments
1.jpg
Taken with a Nikon D70, f/5.6 with 1/4 exposure, spot metering with 3.6 aperture
(234.08 KiB) Not downloaded yet
5.jpg
Taken with a Nikon D70, f/6.3 with 1/4 exposure, spot metering with 3.6 aperture
(81.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3.jpg
Taken with a Nikon D70, f/11 with 1/50 exposure, spot metering with 3.6 aperture
(204.84 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2.jpg
Taken with a Nikon D70, f/5.6 with 1/4 exposure, spot metering with 3.6 aperture
(186.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
krfoote

Postby scottg » Sun May 23, 2010 8:56 am

It's great you brought down your camera and tried some shots. what do tried (deep wreck, natural light) with your mid-range zoom was fairly difficult to do.

I think your shutter speed was too slow, they look a little blurry, what ISO were you shooting at? they also seem a little too bright, I think I would have shot in manual mode.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby smb2 » Sun May 23, 2010 9:39 am

I like #1 because of the Bat fish swimming to the left of the diver!!

I don't use PS much but anytime you do a lot of shadow reduction/lightening and add contrast, you get those wavy lines like #2.

#3 suffers from lack of flash and the need to get closer. But for me I can't resist taking pictures
of clown fish. Wish they had invaded the Caribbean instead of the Lionfish.

#4 has great potential, the torpedoes in the racks tell the story.
Might try to darken it and add a little contrast. I think the B/W adds
to the old time news real feel.
smb2

Postby krfoote » Sun May 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Thanks for the input!
I had High Hopes for #1 as well, I wanted to leave it in color but i just couldnt make it look right. #2 was my favorite when i was down there, i thought it was going to be an amazing shot- and it could have been if my settings were better, you are correct my shutter speed was to slow.
#4 is still my favorite, I think the lighting is to far from salvagable but when i go back down there i am definately going to try for that look again.

With a little more practice i dont think ill need photoshop as much, towards the end of this dive and after seeing the resutls (the Clown fish and a few others) i think i know what i was doing wrong and i cant wait to get down there and try again
krfoote

Return to Underwater Photos