New Member of the Forum

Not sure what your nudibranch is? Post it here for identification!

Moderator: Dave Behrens

Postby Dave Behrens » Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi All:

Well Scott has dragged me on board as a moderator. Very cool.

Hopefully you recognize the name. I've been around awhile.

When not teaching at Pierce College near Tacoma Washington, I still travel in search of new Branchs as much as I can. I will spend all of July in Tulaben, Indonesia, giving three Nudibranch workshops.

I would like to invite you to send any photos of specimens you are having trouble ID'ing to The Guide and we'll give it the old college try.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

My best,

Dave Behrens
Gig Harbor, Washington
Dave Behrens

Postby Kevin Lee » Thu May 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Welcome Dave. Sko-T has a wide net, which caught me too! I'm looking forward to your nudie-camps in Bali this July. Just booked my flights today.

Hey, last month I dived in Anilao, Philippines (Club Ocellaris) and, with the help of Alexis, found a bushel of slugs, may which I'm still scratching my noggin' over the IDs.

a. The first appears to have some extra-rhinophoral/branchial appendages so figure it's a type of Trapania. However, i don't see a match in the Indo-Pacific publication (great book by the way: http://seachallengers.com/index.cfm?catID=3&itemID=446). What is this guy?

b. No inkling as to this one. About 3/4 inch long.

c. When I saw this one, I took a perfunctory shot, thinking, ah, another Glossodoris cincta. But, on viewing the critter on my computer screen, somehow the coloration of the marginal lines seems odd. Still a G. cincta variation?

Welcome nudiphiles!

K:-) aka Kevlar
UPG Contributing Author
Macro Nut
Attachments
Nudi9b-100403b_w.jpg
Nudi7-100403_w.jpg
Nudi2-100403_w.jpg
Kevin Lee

Postby tswinner » Fri May 14, 2010 6:48 am

Welcome Dave!

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby Dave Behrens » Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi All:

Nice pics.

The first species is one of the many color variations of Kaloplocamus ramosa. As we mention in "Indo-Pacific Nudibranchs and Sea Slugs", this species needs closer examination to determine if some of the color variants aren't separate species.

The second is Dendrodoris coronata. The ridge in front of the gill resembles a crown, hence, the name "coronata."

The third is Glossodoris cincta.

Good show.

Dave
Dave Behrens

Postby scottg » Thu May 20, 2010 12:58 pm

hey Dave - it's really great having you on the board. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of Nudibranch species and behavior from across the globe posted here.

And your insight and commentary will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby CompuDude » Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Wow, we have a star on board! Well done, Scott, having DB on board is huge!

We're pleased to have you here!

(extra !!! in case I didn't use enough before LOL)
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby Kevin Lee » Thu May 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Many thanks for the IDs Dave. K:-)
Kevin Lee

Postby bodiver » Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Welcome Dave,
My wife and I saw you when you gave a talk in Monterey maybe 15 years ago and we never forgot it. We were 'branch freaks then and still are. Glad to see you here!
Bo Pardau
bodiver

Return to Nudibranch ID