Hello, fellow divers!

Please introduce yourself here

Moderators: Jornari, cuddlefish

Postby cotan » Thu May 17, 2012 7:16 am

Hi there

It's Connie here, based in Singapore. I've recently decided to upgrade from compact to DSLR, so I'm a newbie to DSLR & the rig. I've already got a Canon 5DMKII and 100mm macro lens.

I'm now looking for advice for the rest of the gear - although I've been researching on Ikelite housing & strobes. Opinions welcome!

Connie
cotan

Postby Zig » Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 am

Hello Connie,

You can't go wrong with Ikelite strobes, in my opinion, especially if you choose to purchase an Ikelite housing. I shot my Nikon D90 in an Ikelite housing for over a year with no issues whatsoever. Their customer service is second-to-none as well.
Zig

Postby cotan » Sun May 27, 2012 6:15 am

Hello Michael,

Good to hear that! Thanks.

Cheers,
Connie
cotan

Postby bvanant » Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Welcome Connie and welcome to the DSLR club. If it were me, I would take a look at the whole crop of used 5DMII housings that are for sale now. Since the 5DIII came out, lots of 5DII folk will be upgrading. I think that there is a big difference in handling between the IKE housings and the aluminum housings with the Al housings being much easier to shoot. As for strobes, I would also look at the new S&S D1 which appears fantastic. In any case, there are precious few pics you can't take with the IKE that you could take with S&S, Subal, Nauticam etc, but you might find that getting the pic is easier with the more ergonomic housings.

Enjoy and post some pics.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby cotan » Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 am

Thanks, Bill

That's what I'd been hearing, that the handling is easier with Al housings - ultimately it'll be a balance between that & price.

Yes, I'd been checking regularly for used gear. Will put up a post for it.

Cheers,
Connie
cotan

Return to Introductions