new to underwater. few questions.

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby cambar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Aloha, I recently purchased an SPL water housing for my Canon 1d Mark II. The housing has a dome port that works with fisheye and a 50mm so I shoot with a Tokina 10-17 and a Canon 50. HEre are a few questions and problems I have ran into.

1. waterspots when I'm above water. I've been told to lick the port but that does not seem to do much. any suggestions?

2. I'm having a hard time getting by lens to focus underwater but I've been told auto focus is the way to go. Im sure this has been asked a million times but what are some good setting for portraits of people, turtles, fish reef etc... ?

AV? TV? Manual? autofocus or manual?

Thanks and Aloha!

Cambar
cambar

Postby cambar » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:04 am

as i search the site, im finding a lot of helpful info but still have questions.

lets say im free diving on a nice sunny day with no flash. anywhere from 2-15 feet of water between the hours of 11-3 so the sun is high and bright. im shooting turtles and in manual with the fisheye. what would u set ur aperture, shutter speed and ISO ? manual or auto focus? keep in mind that the only thing i can adjust once my camera is locked in the housing is the shutter speed. ALohA!
cambar

Postby Zig » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 am

cambar wrote:as i search the site, im finding a lot of helpful info but still have questions.

lets say im free diving on a nice sunny day with no flash. anywhere from 2-15 feet of water between the hours of 11-3 so the sun is high and bright. im shooting turtles and in manual with the fisheye. what would u set ur aperture, shutter speed and ISO ? manual or auto focus? keep in mind that the only thing i can adjust once my camera is locked in the housing is the shutter speed. ALohA!

Set your camera to base ISO (eg 100), aperture f8, and shutter speed 1/125. These are assuming you're using a Tokina 10-17mm lens. Also, I would suggest using auto-focus. You should not have any trouble using auto-focus with a wide lens on a bright, sunny day.

Also, a great way to find information on this site is to utilize the "search" bar at the top of the page.

I hope this helps!
Zig

Postby cambar » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm

thanks zig!!
cambar

Postby cambar » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:47 am

lil update :)

cambar

Return to Underwater Photography Questions