Settings for compact camera with S&S YS-110a strobe

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby jacquesandrelandry » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 am

Good day.

I have a Panasonic ZS3 compact camera and a Panasonic housing that I have been using for two years. Great camera, great pictures and superb HD videos. In short, I am not looking for comments on what other camera I should get, as I will stick to this one for now.

I just decided I should get a strobe, and since I plan on moving to a DSLR in the near future, I ordered a S&S YS-110a strobe. I read the documentation and what little information there is on the web and understand the settings for the strobe itself. It should work in DS-TTL mode as there is a preflash on the ZS3 (I think). I have not yet tried the beast as it will arrive next weekend but I have a diving trip planned in 10 days, in a location with no internet access (not Cuba, a boat ;-), so I am collecting some information before hand.

The question is about the settings for the camera itself. The ZS3 does not have a manual mode, neither aperture or shutter speed priority settings. So all the recommendations on most postings are useless in my case (although it's all great and very informative) as I cannot select the mode that the camera should be set at.

What I understand is that I should set the ISO to a low setting (64 or 100) to force slower shutter speeds, force the flash ON with no red eye reduction, and probably use either AWB or a setting like Sun or Clouds. I would not use the underwater mode as this boosts the reds, and the lobsters would look cooked (as they do with the internal flash in that mode ;-)

But from there I am clueless as to what other settings could help. I suspect I am not the only one with an "all auto" camera with a strobe and hope some of you will share their expertise.

If you have a ZS3 with a stroke, please share your settings. If you have other setups and think you can suggest ideas, go for it. I am new to underwater "strobing" so all info is welcome.

I know the YS-110a is a little overkill for a compact but I got it for the price of a YS-01 or an Inon S2000 so could not resit the "full TTL" capabilities, the aiming light, the punch, the "professional look" and the future compatibility with a DSLR.
Jacques-André from Montreal, Canada
jacquesandrelandry

Postby Zig » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 am

My suggestion, due to your fast-approaching trip, would be to call Scott Gietler at Bluewater Photo (www.bluewaterphotostore.com) +1-310-633-5052. He and his staff will be able to get you the gear you need, and assist you with its operation.

Have a great trip!

Michael
Zig

Postby jacquesandrelandry » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 am

Hum, I think you (Zig) did not read my question !

I am not looking after buying equipment, but looking for advices as to what settings I should use on a "no manual modes" compact camera connected to a D-TTL strobe.

Thanks anyway.

I am surprised that no one seems to have suggestions. The Lumix ZS1 and ZS3 were praised when they came out and I bought this with an underwater box because I read on these forums that it was the best deal, pictures and videos at the time (2009). Come on my friends, let's share some of your secrets !
Jacques-André from Montreal, Canada
jacquesandrelandry

Return to Compact Camera Corner