First try on CFWA

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby MOliveira » Sun May 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi everybody,

This photo was taken on the same dive of this one http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15 .

In my mind I was trying to take a CFWA kind, but i know that i need a dome (I use a clean Inon UWL-100).
Anyway, I like the photo.

This was my 4th dive with external strobe. (and already trying on manual!!!)

I´m glad for your opinions

Miguel Oliveira
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby smb2 » Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm

It's a good start with your flash. You didn't blow out the subject and you have done great with controlling back-scatter.
Watch your corners; you kept the subject nicely off center but you did clip it on the left.
Next time try to get a little lower to the subject and shoot upwards and take some of the dark
"reef" out. Also play with flash position a little. Then sit there for a while and wait for an obliging fish to perch, or perhaps have your buddy in the blue as a silhouette, with a flashlight. Then wait for the Manta/shark/turtle.... :lol:
A nice subject merits multiple images esp. while you are working with a new rig.
Would like to see more shots. What are the chances of your returning to that spot?
smb2

Postby scottg » Mon May 17, 2010 11:19 pm

nice start.. good placement of a colorful foreground subject. I wish the left side wasn't cut off, and I'd like to see a more interesting background. just my 2 cents :)

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby MOliveira » Tue May 18, 2010 6:41 am

smb2 wrote:It's a good start with your flash. You didn't blow out the subject and you have done great with controlling back-scatter.
Watch your corners; you kept the subject nicely off center but you did clip it on the left.
Next time try to get a little lower to the subject and shoot upwards and take some of the dark
"reef" out. Also play with flash position a little. Then sit there for a while and wait for an obliging fish to perch, or perhaps have your buddy in the blue as a silhouette, with a flashlight. Then wait for the Manta/shark/turtle.... :lol:
A nice subject merits multiple images esp. while you are working with a new rig.
Would like to see more shots. What are the chances of your returning to that spot?

Thanks for your reply.
I took some shots of this subject. The one i decided to show on this topic was the one with best luminance (at least of the foreground) and without backscatter.
Let me show 2 more shots from 5 I did about that subject. One was a try to incorporate divers on the background (and did point it upwards), but they get very far from me and not very well composed. The other shot have better composition, but i mystake a lot with strobe position and power.
But I wont forget your words when I have another subject.
It was my first shot using strobe on manual.

Thanks
Miguel
Attachments
IMG_0255c.JPG
Canon 590IS, M mode, 1/60, f4.5, 35mm equiv+ UWL-100+ Z240 on Manual
IMG_0250c.JPG
Canon 590IS, M mode, 1/160, f4.5, 35mm equiv+ UWL-100+ Z240 on Manual
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby CompuDude » Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 am

Nice, I like the diver in that second shot (first in the new pair). What's the splash of light on the left, just above the red coral? Stray light from a torch, or did it pick up light from the strobe also?
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby MOliveira » Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 am

CompuDude wrote:Nice, I like the diver in that second shot (first in the new pair). What's the splash of light on the left, just above the red coral? Stray light from a torch, or did it pick up light from the strobe also?

It is the part of main bean from the strobe :oops: .

The diver isn´t my buddy, and I tryed to compose him inside... but I wasn´t fast enough, and missed the foreground subjet also... a misery....

Before I learn to catch divers in movement, I have to pay some euros to my buddy makes some freezing poses... maybe about 5 minutes each... ;)

Thanks for your comments
Miguel Oliveira
MOliveira

Postby smb2 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:59 pm

I like the diver silhouette as well.
It just takes time to get all the elements together. As the camera and flash get to be more second nature, composition becomes more of your focus.

In the past, I preferred the divers closer, the mag. cover look. Now I am a fan of the diver far away as a silhouette. The images just have a feel of what its like to be at 70 feet.
Attachments
107 Blue Room 887wtmk.jpg
D2x, Tokina 10-17mm @10mm, SS125, f8,Inon Z220 dual strobes at full power
(45.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smb2

Postby MOliveira » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

smb2 wrote:In the past, I preferred the divers closer, the mag. cover look. Now I am a fan of the diver far away as a silhouette. The images just have a feel of what its like to be at 70 feet.

Hi,
Your picture is very cool... with a lot of ambience... well done.

I know that I have to put on my mind the camera-strobe basis to spend some more time on composing.

Later, on another Topic, I´ll post some photos from my buddy that I toke on this dive... some were my try to that "cover-look", but I toke some that look worst but were taken like you refer.

Miguel
MOliveira

Return to Underwater Photos