Choosing a compact

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Steveilad » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 am

Hi all
I am thinking of buying a compact with wet lenses instead of using my DSLR, or is it best to just stick to using the DSLR.
Has anyone got any suggestions on which compact to buy.
I want to have full manual control over the camera and use my sea & sea ys110 a strobes and shoot in raw.
Steveilad

Postby tswinner » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Check out this link. I think it might help
http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/best ... meras-2012
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby Steveilad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 am

Thanks Todd will take a look
Steveilad

Postby bvanant » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Steveilad wrote:Hi all
I am thinking of buying a compact with wet lenses instead of using my DSLR, or is it best to just stick to using the DSLR.
Has anyone got any suggestions on which compact to buy.
I want to have full manual control over the camera and use my sea & sea ys110 a strobes and shoot in raw.

A lot will depend on what you are trying to accomplish. Certainly the fixed lens P&S cameras cost a lot less and are a lot smaller than their DSLR cousins. The disadvantages are that the image quality is not as good and that the autofocus speed and shutter lag are inferior to their larger cousins. The next step up are the micro 4/3 cameras, Olympus and Panasonic mostly. They are much better image quality but more complex, a bit bigger and quite a bit more expensive. The housings are more complex as well but smaller than DSLR housings and easier to travel with.

If your goal is to show folks your photos and videos on-line then fixed lens P&S will be way more than good enough. If you want to make 16x20 inch prints to hang on your wall then I think you need to think a bit more about your choice. Scott can support just about any camera that you are thinking about and your options today are far better than they were a year or two ago.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Steveilad » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:45 am

Thanks for the reply Bill

I want the best quality i can get out of the camera, i also want to be able to use the wet lenses so i can change from wide angle to macro underwater.
The amount of times using my DSLR i have gone in with wide angle then come across something i need a macro lens for is countless.
I will certainly look at those cameras you have suggested

Steve
Steveilad

Postby bvanant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:04 pm

I understand the allure of being able to shoot both wide and macro on the same dive and that is something that isn't really possible with interchangeable lens system cameras (unless you have lots of money and some dive sherpas) but that flexibility comes with some significant loss of image quality but again if your output is to the web or iPad or computer screen only then you should be more than happy with a P&S system. If you want to make the big prints though then I think having bigger sensors makes an enormous difference.

Of course you could be like me and shoot only macro stuff and just don't even look up when the whaleshark swims by. :D
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Steveilad » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks for your reply Bill

I think your right about the sensors and quality, my pictures aren't just for the web.
The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards staying with my DSLR

I might just have to fit some blinkers to my mask so i miss all the big stuff

Steve
Steveilad

Return to Underwater Photography Questions