Less water droplets on the ikelite 8" Dome Port?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby andrew222 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi,

Last year I purchased the ikelite 8" Dome Port specifically for over/under shots in the sea using the Canon 5D MKII & 15mm FE lens.

Using it for the first time in Maui I eventually got accustomed to how everything works but a big problem was the water droplets on the actual dome itself. I had so many pictures that had large drops on them and most just wouldn’t have been worth all the time and effort using the clone tool in Photoshop.

Reading up on this issue I noticed that glass is better to use as it disperses the droplets faster plus there was also spitting on the dome but does anyone have and tips for making my life easier getting the over/unders with the ikelite model please ? To be honest I did try spitting on it while out there but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Many thanks,

Andrew
andrew222

Postby andrew222 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 pm

How odd, I also posted on the Yahoo digital-photography news group and got several replies. I thought this was the place to get answers on anything 'underwater' related.

Here's some of the advice in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/digi ... sage/84590

Other than spit it seems like rubbing a potato on the dome may be a solution and taking the picture within the first view seconds of bringing the dome half out of the water . Think I'll try that on my next trip as I couldn't possibly do any worse than my previous attempts.

Thanks anyway,

Andrew
andrew222

Postby Zig » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Hello Andrew,

This issue is actually our Featured Resource on our homepage. I hope it helps!

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/over- ... hotography
Zig

Postby smb2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I have heard the potato idea as well, but never tried it. (Never have a potato when you need one.) Generally use the "slow rise and quick shoot method" having figured out the exposure first, sometimes with a trial shot.
The people I know with glass ports use RainX. Do not put it on your acrylic port.
Attachments
_DSC0006 - Version 20000.jpg
smb2

Postby bvanant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Do not use the normal RainX for your port but you can use standard defog and there is a RAINX formula for marine use that contains no alcohol and can be safely used on acrylic.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby smb2 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 am

Thanks Bill,
Did not know that and will give it a try. Now I need to go somewhere to practice.
smb2

Return to Underwater Photography Questions