hello from Canada

Please introduce yourself here

Moderators: Jornari, cuddlefish

Postby ckchee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 am

Hi.

I've never taken underwater photos before. I'm going on a trip to Tahiti and Cook Islands mid-May 2012 and would love to take UW photos and videos.

I've been taking photos since 1971 and now own a Canon T3i/600D with 24-105 f4L. I'm scared about taking my gear underwater. I'm reading about other cameras.

I also have a Panasonic Lumix ZS7.

This is a great site! Just found it yesterday.

I'm looking into a SeaLife DC-1400 (new for 2012), Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-5, Sea & Sea line.
ckchee

Postby ckchee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:28 am

I am not a scuba diver. I plan to take an intro course that will allow me to go to a depth of 30 feet. I will do a lot of snorkelling.

So do I need an external flash or video light at 30 feet (during the day)?
How about for snokelling? I believe some UW housings allow the internal flash to be used.
ckchee

Postby Zig » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am

Be sure to give Scott (publisher of this site) at Bluewater Photo a call for you new gear ((310) 633-5052). He'll make sure you get a great deal and great service.

Yes, in my opinion you will need a strobe, even at 30fsw during the day. Unless the sun is high in the sky and the water is perfectly calm, the light reaching the depths will be varied and less than ideal. With a strobe you're pretty much guaranteed to get colors to pop in your shots.

Cheers,
Zig
Zig

Postby Rhiannon Payne » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Welcome!! :) You've come to the right place if you're looking to learn UW photography - our guide has some great articles for beginners. Can't wait to hear about your progress and see some photos after your trip!
Rhiannon Payne

Return to Introductions