Tell us what setup you have!

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby scottg » Fri May 14, 2010 4:34 pm

If you have a compact camera, let us know what camera and housing you have, along with any wet lenses or strobes.

Pictures of the setup are also welcome!

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby James » Fri May 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Well, in the past I have shot Nikonos III and Nikon FM SLR/Ikelite. Most recently I had three Canon 570 IS rigs and now, ta da, I have a FIX/S90 rig. I love the thing. I did not buy it first and decide I liked it after, I studied, compared, studied, argued, until the camera and housing that continued to percolate to the top was the S90 with the FIX housing. I already had a gaggle of Inon wet lenses, a UWL100-67mm with dome option and a UFL165AD and a UCL165AD and I just placed an order for a Fisheye UWL-04. I also already had two Inon D2000 strobes.

This is my current rig fitted with the Inon UFL165AD lens, 2XD2000, DIY faux UCLS tray, arms etc. from http://www.opticaloceansales.com :

Anyways, that is mine rigged on the couch after cleanup from a recent dunking in WPB.

Hey, y'all post your rigs, believe it or not, people learn from such pictures, I know I have.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby MOliveira » Sun May 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Last year I decided to start to bring some “memories” from the deep blue (or green ;) ).

On my thought, P&S is the way to begin, to learn, and is the lighter and cheaper, so I bought a camera that had a housing with support to wet lens (both macro and wide angle).

At the time, the Canon Powershot A590Is was my answer:
Cheap, FULL manual (M,AV,TV,Focus,WB), 35mm equiv lens and a Ikelite house with M67 treat. It also have 8mp, f2.8, 1/500 syncro, RAW with CHDK and a nice LCD.

I started with this setup last summer, doing some nice shots with internal flash, and probably, was a good setup to bring some images from underwater adventures (and films). But at the end of the year I bought a Inon UWL-100 wide angle wet lens, and 2 month ago I got the main piece of equipment: A Inon Z-240 (type4) strobe.
My tray and handle are from ULCS, 10bar arms and OF, TK clamps.

I´m sure I can´t achieve the sharp and definition of a dSLR (even of a G9 or a S90), but that is not my goal.

My planed acquisitions: Inon Dome for UWL-100, Inon UCL-165 macro lens

My "next life" acquisitions (before dSLR): 2nd strobe, S90 + Fix

Nice dives,
Miguel Oliveira
Attachments
IMG_0796b.JPG
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby James » Sun May 16, 2010 5:18 pm

Excellent outfit. I had two Canon A570IS, one with Ikelite and one with Canon DC12 housing and I just have in the last few days sold them to new, happy owners but I am sad :cry: toi see them go. Your A590 is a very capable outfit for us amateurs and should bring you many fun times.

That lanyard is an essential pice of equipment for sure, :shock: .

Yeah, a strobe or two and a wide angle lens are to die for.

James

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby markcra » Tue May 18, 2010 10:43 am

Been using a Fuji F31fd in Fuji housing for longer than I care to remember. Only recently added a strobe to the setup when I was preparing for a trip to Malaysia. For that trip I was very very lucky to be offered a lend of an INON 165 fisheye lens :o

Cream leather couches make good temporary studios, eh James?
markcra

Postby CompuDude » Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am

While I've taken some shots of the housing, I was surprised to see I don't have any actual shots of my new S90 rig yet.

So meanwhile, I can only post a shot of my previous (now backup) rig:

Canon PowerShot S80 (28mm lens, 8mp, full manual controls)
Inon D2000 Strobe with fiber optic cable and -0.5 White Diffuser
Ikelite S80 Housing (#6140.08) with AD port adapter (#9306.80)
Ikelite handle and tray (#9523.31)
Inon UCL-165AD Macro lenses (x2)
ULCS Clamps (new style doubles and one triple) and arms (3", 5")
Inon AD Double Lens Caddy
Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focusing Light
36" Coil Lanyard with brass bolt snap and SS split ring

The only thing that has changed is a substitution of the S90 in the FIX housing in place of the S80 in the Ikelite housing. I'll post up a shot a when I get a chance to take some shots of the rig.
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby scottg » Wed May 19, 2010 5:50 pm

markcra wrote:Been using a Fuji F31fd in Fuji housing for longer than I care to remember. Only recently added a strobe to the setup when I was preparing for a trip to Malaysia. For that trip I was very very lucky to be offered a lend of an INON 165 fisheye lens :o

those fuji housings are great. how do you like the double o-rings? are you going to get the Inon fisheye lens?

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm

:D I caught that on the cream leather couch, yes, they do make a good neutral background :lol: . We are going darker next time.

Yes, do tell, on the 165AD, that should be a good combo with the little Fuji.

James

James

Postby markcra » Thu May 20, 2010 4:54 am

scottg wrote:
markcra wrote:Been using a Fuji F31fd in Fuji housing for longer than I care to remember. Only recently added a strobe to the setup when I was preparing for a trip to Malaysia. For that trip I was very very lucky to be offered a lend of an INON 165 fisheye lens :o

those fuji housings are great. how do you like the double o-rings? are you going to get the Inon fisheye lens?

LOVE this housing, I have to confess that I don't take enough care of it but it certainly has taken care of my camera. I've had this little beaut operating down to 53m (Sunday past) with no problems.

The INON Fisheye lens was superb, a lot of fun with the F31fd and perfect for the diving we were doing around Sipadan, Malaysia. Back home in Scotland I'm not sure I'd get as much use out of it though. If I was planning to head up to do the wrecks of Scapa Flow again or going abroad then I would give purchasing the fisheye some consideration (don't tell the wife) but for now it's out of my price range.
markcra

Postby Bart » Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 am

after using a Ixus 860 for two years I decided to buy a new camera with more options. This is my setup a the moment:
Canon G11
WP DC 34 housing
Inon Z240 strobe
Inon UCL 330 macro lens

On my wish list is an extra macro lens and a wide angle dome ;)

Bart
Bart

Next

Return to Compact Camera Corner