Nudibranch

Nudibranchs have a special place here. Share your photos and sightings!

Moderator: Dave Behrens

Postby edy_dive » Mon May 17, 2010 9:41 pm

Taken with Canon G9 without strobe...
Attachments
Nudibranch.JPG
edy_dive

Postby scottg » Mon May 17, 2010 10:17 pm

hey Edy, it's nice to see a nudibranch looking so "natural" with just natural light. where did you take the photo, and did you use natural light only on purpose?

scott

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby edy_dive » Tue May 18, 2010 8:50 am

scottg wrote:hey Edy, it's nice to see a nudibranch looking so "natural" with just natural light. where did you take the photo, and did you use natural light only on purpose?

scott

Thank's Scott,but your photos is much better than mine hehe... :D
I took the photo at around my place when I dive with my guest.

Yes I just used natural light because I don't have enough money to buy Strobe hehe... :D
edy_dive

Postby Kevin Lee » Tue May 18, 2010 11:21 am

Hi Edy, please let us know where you took your foto. Do you know the ID of your nice slug? Am thinking it might be a species of Halgerda, based on the dorsum color/texture, though the the branchial plume sure resembles a Taring halgerda.

Kevin
Kevin Lee

Postby Dave Behrens » Wed May 19, 2010 2:07 pm

Hard to ID this Halgerda without being able to see the coloration between the yellow spots. It is either, H. carlsoni or H. batangas.

Dave
Dave Behrens

Postby edy_dive » Wed May 26, 2010 8:28 pm

Kevin Lee wrote:Hi Edy, please let us know where you took your foto. Do you know the ID of your nice slug? Am thinking it might be a species of Halgerda, based on the dorsum color/texture, though the the branchial plume sure resembles a Taring halgerda.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I took this photo at Sepa Island,Kepulauan Seribu,Indonesia.

I did know the ID of it, I will be check on the book
edy_dive

Postby edy_dive » Wed May 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Dave Behrens wrote:Hard to ID this Halgerda without being able to see the coloration between the yellow spots. It is either, H. carlsoni or H. batangas.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thant's right...I'm already open 3 books but not finding yet, If you know please post here...

Edy Dive
edy_dive

Postby Kevin Lee » Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Hi Edy, Dave and I believe your nudibranch is a Halgerda. Dave thinks it's either a H. carlsoni or H. batangas. Based on the distribution of these two slugs, since you photographed yours in Indonesia, I'm strongly inclined toward Halgerda batangas. Remember that the color spectrum diminishes rapidly in water, with the warm colors (yellow, orange & reds) getting absorbed and disappearing first. That's why we tend to see only blues & purples (cooler colors) the deeper we go where ambient light gets weaker, as in your photograph. Thus the yellow dots on your Halgerda would actually be a hue of orange/reddish orange. Here's a photo of a H. batangas, with strobe light illuminating the dorsum.

http://tinyurl.com/39t46z3

BTW, both H. carlsoni and H. batangas are on pages 180 and 181, respectively, in the book "Indo-Pacific Nudibranchs and Sea Slugs", by Gosliner, Behrens and Valdes.

Cheers, K;-)
Kevin Lee

Postby edy_dive » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:02 am

Hey Kevin and Dave...

That's right, my nudibranch is H.Batangas.
thank's for the information. Kevin, your website is nice I like it.
have nice shoot...

Edy
edy_dive

Return to Nudibranch Photos