Seeking Advice: Compact Digital or dSLR?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby flip69 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:30 am

I am tired of lugging around my 10-year-old UW video system. I thought about getting a more compact video system. Instead, I think I want to switch to photos. I believe I can still get $750-$1000 for my video system. I plan to roll that money into a compact digital or dSLR photo system (camera, housing, and strobe). I think I can get a decent, used, later-model, compact digital system for $750-$1000. I know I would probably be looking at a 6+ year-old dSLR system, which is fine with me. I have no prior dSLR experience, in or out of the water. However, dSLR's have always intrigued me, and I am willing to learn. I have done a fair amount of research. I know my options in both categories. I am having trouble with the bigger question: Which way to go - compact digital or dSLR? I want decent photo quality, especially macro. Compact digital is smaller/lighter. dSLR has the best photo quality (if you know what you are doing). I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.
flip69

Postby bvanant » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:06 pm

At the 1000 end of your budget, you are most likely looking at an Ikelite housing and a few generations old DSLR (T1i, D70) but you won't get much in the way of lenses for that system at that price. Unfortunately while cameras and housings depreciate with time, lenses don't go down very much nor do strobes. I would certainly vote for the DSLR but for $1K you won't be getting much. On the other hand, you might be able to get a nice little fixed lens P&S system for $1K new or slightly used but to me at least the quality of the photos you get will be better with the DSLR.
What are you planning on doing with the pics? If it is only for the web then get a modern P&S (S95 etc) and you will be fine. For prints, not so much.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby bvanant » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I am guessing that my previous advice was not all that accurate and in the wrong way. A 5 generation old Canon 20D in an Ike housing with 2 lenses, ports and a single strobe is selling for $2K and not for the $1 to $1.5K I thought likely. Go see Scott and get a good fixed lens P$S system if you really have only $1K to spend.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions