Strobe problems...

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby ahank » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi

I have an Aquatica housing for my Canon 50D and a couple of Sea & Sea YS-120's. It was all working well in my first few tests (I bought them earlier in the year), then I didn’t triple check my set up prior to diving and it flooded. I picked myself up off the floor, bought a replacement (40D this time!) and continued on. The only problem was that I couldn’t get my strobe to work anymore. An electronics shop helped me out and it appears one of the pins in the ‘hot shoe’ part in the housing (that slips into the camera hot shoe bit) was sticking (perhaps an ongoing issue after salt water getting inside). Generally some contact spray was helping this connect again (though I needed to do it every few dives). The strobe has started working again out of the water, but as soon as I get it into the water, its stopped working. I’m assuming its now either a water thing (perhaps with the sync cord connections?) or a pressure thing (perhaps affecting the pins in the hot shoe again).

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks so much
ahank

Postby bvanant » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:37 pm

What kind of housing? I would replace the hot-shoe connector and see if that solves the problem, it should be only a few dollars.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby ahank » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks for that Bill. It'll cost $137 (!) to replace that so I'm going to quickly try once more ensuring that the o-rings on the sync cord are well lubed and there isn't a problem there, and then I'll give it a go. Stay tuned!
ahank

Postby bvanant » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:38 pm

ahank wrote:Thanks for that Bill. It'll cost $137 (!) to replace that so I'm going to quickly try once more ensuring that the o-rings on the sync cord are well lubed and there isn't a problem there, and then I'll give it a go. Stay tuned!

That seems like a lot. You can get a new hotshoe connector and housing bulkhead for $100 or so; trying just the hotshoe shouldn't cost near that much.
Bill

I would take it down to my local camera shop and see if they have some spare bits floating around to at least let you make the test. I am thinking that a hot-shoe to PC connector cable is all you need and these sell for $20 or less. If that works, then you can spend the money in the right place
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby ahank » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Well good news - I'm not sure if re-lubing the o-ring for the sync cord connection again or enough respraying of the hot shoe connector with contact spray was what worked, but my strobe has started working again - I took it out in my nearby temperate waters and it worked a treat. Its all technique practice for me now!

Thanks for your help, and should I have other problems I'll suss out if I can get Aquatica (or other) spare parts for the hot shoe that are cheaper than what was quoted before!
ahank

Return to Underwater Photography Questions