Stobe settings

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Richard Blair » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:15 am

These questions may have been dealt with many times before. Forgive me. I am new to underwater photography and this forum. I have a Canon IXUS 90IS digital compact and Canon housing. I have now bought a Sea and Sea YS90DX strobe with a fibre optic cable and and am trying to get to grips with it. The strobe instructions manual answers some of my questions but not all.

Although the 90DX provides a TTL function I gather it only operates in TTL mode with a sync cable and appropriate housings. Not mine. So it looks as if the TTL setting won't work with the Canon. Am I wrong?

The remainings strobe settings are:-

One for cameras with a pre-flash setting.
One for cameras without a pre-flash setting.

I dont think - tell me if I am wrong - that the IXUS has a preflash setting.

It looks as I have to use the strobe in a purely manual role and on a trial and error basis adjusting the Control dial and guide number until i get an acceptable exposure.

All recommendations as to appropriate settings and general advice very welcome.

Richard, South West England.
Richard Blair

Postby Leendert Smit » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Richard

I would not bother about TTL as this is not very useful in UW photography. Setting your strobe manually gives better results in the end. You should play around with your strobe power and the aperture of your camera to get the best lighting for anything that will be covered by the strobe light. You use your exposure to control ambient light (short exposures give dark backgrounds longer exposures will show more background).

Good luck Leendert
Leendert Smit

Return to Underwater Photography Questions