z240 on full power with fibre optics

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby bhmelvin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi guys, just wanna make some queries here. I recently went on a trip and found that the light from my strobes didn't get registered on the images whenever I set past f8 or full power. Anyone know why ? I am using a pair of z240s on manual mode with fibre optics.
bhmelvin

Postby bvanant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm

which camera and which housing. Also it is not clear what you mean by not registering on full power. When you say f/8 do you mean on the camera or setting that power on the strobe?
Sorry to ask questions but the answer will depend on your gear and situation.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby bhmelvin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I had tried to find out the problem at home yesterday. This was the setting used. D7000 on an Aquatica housing.

Camera: 1/250, f20

Strobes: f8,f11, full power

With the camera settings fixed, I varied the strobe output. At f8, the picture was iluminated. However, at f11 and full power, the whole picture was dark. The preflash knob was lifted off and not depressed.

Wonder what cld be the cause ?
bhmelvin

Postby bvanant » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

We still need more info. What flash mode was the camera in? If the camera was in TTL mode then the strobe should be in sTTL mode. If the camera is in manual with no preflash then the button needs to be pushed in?
Bill
This really isn't too hard. Set your camera up for TTL flash. Set the Inon for sTTL then you should be good to go. Otherwise set the camera up for manual flash with NO preflash. Put the button in strobe on manual and play. Should be simple to figure out.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions