Settings for Whale Sharks

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby mitch13 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 am

Hi everyone. I am going to Holbox Mexico to snorkel with the whale sharks. I am taking my d300s in a nauticam housing and dome port for the 10-24mm nikkor lens. I would appreciate any advice on what settings will work best. This will be the first time in the water with the new housing. Strobes are not allowed but the sharks are at the surface or just below. Thanks
mitch13

Postby smb2 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 pm

First of all you might check with Nauticam to see if the lens needs a diopter filter with your dome port.
Manual settings should not be to tough. You will be shooting mostly in 3-6 feet of water so lots of light (unless it is really cloudy). Take a few test shots as soon as you are in the water to see how the histograms look, before the action starts. I'm guessing with an ISO of 200 you will be at a SS of 250 and f10-16 if not shooting into the sun.
I will be in Isla in two weeks. One question I have is regarding a safety harness/lanyard for the housing. I would hate to let go of the camera in blue water. Don't usually use a strap. Any recs?
Post some shots Mitch.
smb2

Return to Underwater Photography Questions