TTL or MANUAL STROBE

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Weiry » Tue May 31, 2011 11:01 pm

Recently upgraded to Canon 7D I have dual Ikelite 161 strobes (that I dont want to part with) and have only ever used TTL function when using my 161's.

I am looking at going with the Nauticam NA-D7 housing. They can fit an adaptor for the ikelite 161's strobe but I will lose the TTL function. arrrrrrrrgh!!

I kinda dont mind that but... I have 2 questions.

1. Do most serious underwater photographers shoot manual strobe all the time?

2. Is learning this new process of shooting manual strobes going to be a pain in the neck and make me wish I never purchased the nauticam housing?

3. If I go with nauticam+manual strobe were should i start e.g Articles ,links thanks.

I would really appreciate your feedback on this one to help me make an informed decision. Craig
Weiry

Postby Zig » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am

Hello Craig,

I use TTL with my Ike strobes and Ike housing when I shoot macro, and from my experience, if a someone has this functionality available to them when shooting macro, they use it. I do, however, use my strobes on manual power when shooting wide-angle, as do most people I know.

Here's a great article by Todd Winner about wide-angle photography, and how he uses his strobes in manual mode ----> http://bit.ly/lBevUH

Michael
Zig

Postby bvanant » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:38 am

You can of course buy the Ikelite TTL converter for external strobes. This is one solution. I use strobes in both TTL and manual and there are times when one or the other is better but mostly not a big issue.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Underwater Photography Questions