Macro lens & wide angle for Canon S90

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby codiacon » Fri May 27, 2011 3:00 am

Hi Scott,

I have a Canon S90 with FIX S90 housing. No external flash, for the moment I prefer travel & dive light. I use at maximum ambient light and when necessary internal flash or led video light. I use to approach as close as possible before to shoot and almost never zoom.
I’m interested to buy a macro lens and maybe a wide angle (for manta rays, turtles, wrecks). I checked some products on your shop bluewaterphotostore :

The Recsea 2-diopter flip, which can be directly screwed on the port, seems practical with the possibility to take macro or not without to unscrew it. However, I would like to know which difference of magnification and quality has the 2-diopter flip macro lens compared to the Dyron 2 element macro lens UCL67II (+adapter Dyron DY.ADJP90)?

For wide angle, I think (but I'm not sure) I would prefer regular wide angle versus fisheye, because size and weight and less fragibility.
What do you think about the Dyron 15mm DY WA15M67 (+ Adapter Dyron for FIX S90, DY.ADJP90)?

About fisheye, I don’t understand the way to focus: do I have to keep the macro mode, if I don’t have a very close foreground?
I selected two models of fisheye : the FIX UWL-04 Fisheye Lens and the Dyron 16mm fisheye DY.FJP90

Here some photographs I took at Bali, and some in my lake in Switzerland.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1055440345 ... directlink

Thank you in advance for giving me an advice, specially for the macro lens
Corine
codiacon

Postby James » Fri May 27, 2011 5:40 pm

None of the conversion lenses for wide angle are truly rectilinear therefore just get the wider dome equipped lenses.

As to the focus, despite what others may say, you should NOT set the camera to macro for any Inon or Fisheye lens, be they wide angle or fisheye (since they are all actually semi-fisheye) and none are rectilinear.

The macro idea got started because it is true that if the camera lens were focusing directly on the virtual image made by the dome it would need to be close focused but in the case of wet lenses, the camera lens is not focusing on the virtual image produced by their built in/attached domes but instead is focusing through an entirely separate lens which is designed to work with the dome it has attached.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby codiacon » Mon May 30, 2011 2:31 am

Hi James,
Thanks for your clear explanations, I also read your test between the fisheye Inon UWl 100 - UFL 165AD and the Fisheye UWK-04 with a Canon S90. I think, I'll train a little with macro and regular wide angle before to be ready to try with a fisheye.
But I'll follow to read all your articles with great interest, I've learned a lot till now!
Corine
Corine
codiacon

Return to Compact Camera Corner