Recsea or Fisheye FIX housing for Canon G12?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby globalbabe » Fri May 20, 2011 10:09 am

Hi there

Greetings from Pakistan. I'm new to this forum and new to underwater photography.

I recently bought a Canon G12 camera and am keen to learn underwater photography. As I need to buy an underwater housing before my next diving trip next month, I have narrowed it down to the Recsea housing vs the Fisheye FIX housing since weight is the key consideration (800g for the Recsea or Fisheye is highly preferable to the 2.7kg Ikelite).

I have tried to find information relating to these G12 housings but remain unclear about the differences between the Recsea and Fisheye housings. Are the housings essentially the same or is one preferable to the other? If so, which one and why? What are the differences and how does that affect the other pieces in the system which I will add later (strobes, wide angle lenses, etc).

Advice and recommendations highly appreciated.

Thanks!
globalbabe

Postby smkychkn » Sun May 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,
I Have just purchased a g12 and ikelite housing but have not had a chance to take it for a dive yet. I did however look up for you the weights of the Recsea and the Ikelite housings.
The Recsea is listed as 1050 grams and the Ikelite is listed on their website as 2.7 kg. The weight of the Ikelite is including the camera in the housing whereas the Recsea is only the housing, so the weight difference will in fact be a lot less than you originally thought.
Some things you may wish to consider in your choice are things like the max depth rating of each housing and the systems and fittings used for the attachments of items such as strobes and counterweights and lens fittings for Wide Angle and Macro lenses. Ikelite say that their housing has slightly negative bouyancy in the water but I am unsure of the bouyancy of the Recsea.
Hope this is of some help.
Cheers from NZ
smkychkn

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 am

I have the Recsea housing for the G12 and think it is great. The Recsea and Fisheye housings are made by the same manufacturer so essentially they are the same housing.

Essentially the big differences are:

1. Different locking mechanism - I like the Recsea one.

2. The position of the dials for the ISO & Scene selects are different. On the Recsea they are on top of each other and with the Fisheye they are in line.

3. The Fisheye has slots above the LCD screen so yo can fit a LCD hood whereas the Recsea dosent has this and it's the one thing I wish it did have.

Other than that they are exactly the same. My only gripe was when I opened up the housing for the first time the assembly for the front dial fell out :shock: :shock: and I had to put it back together. Not a hard job just fidley as the screw is very tiny.

Hope this helps.

Karl
Karl

Postby garyparker29 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:51 pm

globalbabe wrote:Hi there

Greetings from Pakistan. I'm new to this forum and new to underwater photography.

I recently bought a Canon G12 camera and am keen to learn underwater photography. As I need to buy an underwater housing before my next diving trip next month, I have narrowed it down to the Recsea housing vs the Fisheye FIX housing since weight is the key consideration (800g for the Recsea or Fisheye is highly preferable to the 2.7kg Ikelite).

I have tried to find information relating to these G12 housings but remain unclear about the differences between the Recsea and Fisheye housings. Are the housings essentially the same or is one preferable to the other? If so, which one and why? What are the differences and how does that affect the other pieces in the system which I will add later (strobes, wide angle lenses, etc).

Advice and recommendations highly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a Canon G12 and I am using it for underwater photography too and the housing that I chose for it is the Recsea G12 Housing because it is a work of art. It is also the best option for macro photography.
garyparker29

Return to Compact Camera Corner