Tokina 35mm

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby Trace » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Anyone have any experience using the Tokina 35mm underwater? If so what are the pros / cons with it?
Thanks
Trace
Trace

Postby bvanant » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:04 am

As a fish portrait lens it is killer. Great field of view and quite sharp. Compared to the 60 or 100 macro lenses for macro though it has the problem that the 1:1 distance is quite small and it will be a giant pain to light stuff for 1:1. Behind a small dome it may be really nice but I haven't tried it that way.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby maggieD » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:00 am

Hi Tracy,

I'm wondering, are you looking for a mid-range lens? Scott ( my husband)has the Sigma 17-70 that he uses for an all around lens. When I was looking for one I looked at the Nikor 18-55 but it was pricey. Scott bought me a Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 throughout for Xmas. It was a great surprise. It is quite a bit less expensive than the Nikon lens. We had to cannibalize a focus gear for the lens. But a plastic gear sleeve from ikelite works both for my husbands sigma and my tamron after grinding to match the gears. Not the same gear sleeve btw.
sea lion.jpg

My photography may leave something to be desired but the lens is pretty good and I'm happy with it. For what it's worth!!
Attachments
sculpin.jpg
maggieD

Postby TomR1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:55 pm

The 17/70 is indeed a killer "general purpose" lens.
TomR1

Return to Underwater Photography Questions