Using snoots in underwater photography

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby smb2 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Bill, Scott, have you seen the Inon version of the Snoot? Made for the Z240 etc.http://www.inon.jp/products/snoot/z240.html
Also how do you attach the strobe to the tripod? Is there a way to attach a ball head base to the tripod and then connect with a clamp?
Thanks,
Stan
smb2

Postby TomR1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:26 pm

The Inon strobes have a thread (female) if you remove the ball joint. (Ikelite does not). You may need to scrape off the cork from the tripod to make the screw longer. Seahorn also makes a snoot for a Z-240
TomR1

Postby smb2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:32 am

The Z 220/240s are positively buoyant. Is the tripod heavy enough to keep them planted?
When using a third strobe remotely, I Duck tape a two pound soft weight to the strobe.
smb2

Postby bvanant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:35 pm

smb2 wrote:The Z 220/240s are positively buoyant. Is the tripod heavy enough to keep them planted?
When using a third strobe remotely, I Duck tape a two pound soft weight to the strobe.

You must have pretty salty water in Curacao, here in Los Angeles, my Z240 with batteries and a ULCS adapter are a bit negative. In any case, I do put about 300 grams (little less than 3/4 pound) on the legs but more for surge protection than bouyancy. The gorillapod that I have is a bit negative as well but with a strobe on top it is a bit whippy in surge, hence the weights.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby TomR1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:22 pm

The Seahorn, Gorellapod, Inon s-2000 snoot.

I used an Inon s-2000 although an Inon Z-240 would be about the same. The snoot, fully assembled except for the unit that hold color filters is a Seahorn XS. The tripos is a Gorellapod DSLR. Also not the long fibreoptic cable which was a special order from Reef Photo.

The mounting screw on the GorillaPod is not long enough to engage the threads on the S2000 although at first glance it does appear to engage. The solution is either modify the Srtobe, modify the snoot or get a longer screw. I chose to grind off the soft pad on the Gorilla pad's mounting clip because there is another soft pad on the strobe.

What is the bouyancy of this contraption. I don't know.
seahorn_Inon_snoot.jpg
Seahorn Snoot, INON S2000, GorillaPod
TomR1

Previous

Return to Underwater Photography Questions