Philippines trip photos taken under duress!

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby Hintermann » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:00 pm

My wife and I just returned from a 9-day liveaboard cruise on the SY Philippine Siren, doing the Coron, Apo Reef, Borocay itinerary. It was a great trip except for the camera problems that I had. Having sold my trusty Canon A570iS with its complement, I got talked into buying the Canon Ixus 130 with its Ikelite Housing, Epoque wide-angle lens and Ikleite AF35 strobe. The camera fell apart in the very first dive when the zoom mechanism jammed and I hastily borrowed the Divemaster's Canon G10 with its housing. He had no tray, wide-lens or even a flash deflector but I managed to get a working ensemble with judicious use of duck tape (what'll the world be without it?), nylon string and a bit of luck. My Ikelite strobe was not really compatible with Canon G series cameras but I managed to get a few decent photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25941505@N ... 870987197/

I have since retruned the broken Canon Ixus 130 and its associates and bought the Canon S95 with its Inon wide-angle lens. I have retained the Ikelite strobe.
Hintermann

Postby Critternut » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:31 pm

All that being said you still came home with a nice portfolio of photos, wow....good job!
Mike Bartick~Critternut
www.saltwaterphoto.com
Critternut

Postby Hintermann » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:51 am

Thank you. :)
Hintermann

Postby smb2 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Nice save on your photography. I have a trip to the Philippines planned for
next Dec. The juvenile Pinnatus Batfish is on my list.
Welcome to the forums.
smb2

Postby dons13 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:02 pm

well, you prove it that it's not all about the tools you have but the man behind it...
really great pictures you have...
DonS
Canon G11, Patima Housing, Sea&Sea Strobe, Inon Macrolens
dons13

Postby vijayr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

Very nice photos! I particularly like the lionfish photo (# 485). Great lighting and composition and nice pose of the fish... but what I really think makes the photo is what often takes a back seat when composing, and that is the negative space. The background really compliments the colors of the fish and makes the photo interesting to me.

Vijay Raman My Website

vijayr

Return to Underwater Photos