UW Photography for Low Vision

Please introduce yourself here

Moderators: Jornari, cuddlefish

Postby bbd » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:28 pm

I am partially sighted, with usable sight out of one eye that is about 1/10th of normal. I see at about 20 feet what a person with normal sight would see at 200 feet. I am relatively new to both diving and photography.

I am trying to learn top side photography but I am still learning to take photos manually. I have a canon 7D, but I do not have a good macro or super macro lens.

I recently took up diving and I am amazed at how well I see under water. Things really do seem larger and closer. I am planning a trip to the Corn Islands in Nicaragua in a few weeks and I am interested in trying to capture what I see under water.

I would appreciate any advice anyone feels like offering, but the essential question is what gear to get. With the 7D, I only need a lens and housing, but I am considering going with a point and shoot (probably snapshotish) approach to diving. I expect focusing to be a big challenge and I am not sure about learning to set controls under water. Also, my favorite dives tend to be low level, where there is still some good ambient light, but this is sometimes not possible.

My family already thinks I am an idiot for trying to do this, so you won't really be insulting me if that is your comment as well.

Thanks
Dave
Alexandria, Virginia USA
bbd

Postby smb2 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Dave,
I left a PM for you.
I live in Alexandria and would be glad to help.

SB
smb2

Postby bvanant » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Start with a good P&S, there are many. Autofocus is a wonderful thing, if I had to manually focus, I would be in big trouble. If you are in to macro stuff that is a bit more tricky than reef scenes since getting the right focus point is a bit tougher.
Enjoy and have fun joining all of the rest of us idiots who do this regularly.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Return to Introductions