When taking pics, err darker or lighter?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby TheWetRookie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi All,

When taking pics, I don't always have time to play with settings and getting the lighting right and such due to not being able to hold the dive up too much or not enough time. I also am only just learning how to do corrections in photo shop.

If I was to err in taking the picture, would it be better to be a little darker or lighter when taking the pic?

edit: I should add that I am using a Canon powershot A620 using the raw "hack" program and single sealife strobe.

Thanks

Mike
Mike B.
Cold water diving at it's best on the West Coast of Canada. Tons of life and diving here. -
Canon Powershot A620 with a Ikelite housing and sea life strobe
TheWetRookie

Postby bvanant » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:01 pm

In general, if you can't get it correct in the camera, underexpose a bit. You can lighten things that are too dark but if you have fully blown out highlights you can't darken them easily.
Bill
P.S. Shoot raw when you can, you have more latitude later.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby James » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:45 pm

It is generally considered better to underexpose a bit as it is easier to bring out detail in dark areas than deal with blown out areas that as a result have no data.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby TheWetRookie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks

I have noticed myself that it is easier to adjust a slightly under exposed pic than one that is over exposed.
Mike B.
Cold water diving at it's best on the West Coast of Canada. Tons of life and diving here. -
Canon Powershot A620 with a Ikelite housing and sea life strobe
TheWetRookie

Return to Underwater Photography Questions