Polarized gel filter for Canon 15mm EF f2.8 Fisheye Lens?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby andrew222 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi,

I want to concentrate specifically on tropical 'Over/Under' and shallow water shots with the 5d MKII in the Ikelite housing with a 8in Dome Port and would like to use the Canon 15mm EF f2.8 Fisheye Lens. It appears that the 15mm only takes gel filters at the back which I've never used before.

I'm leaning towards the 15mm fisheye as I could also use it out of water for virtual tours (my regular job). Currently use the Nikkor 10.5mm for that but obviously without the electrics on the Canon so the 15mm would come in handy.

I currently have a polarized filter on the front of a Canon 24-105mm L lens and know it makes all the difference for bringing out the coral, clouds, tree's etc in large panoramas but would a filter make a difference for the Over/Under shots?

I was wondering if anyone has used a polarized gel filter on the 15mm (or any lens) or could recommend a brand in particular?

I have no extra lighting so it all has to be done on a sunny day.

Thanks,

Andrew

Added later:

I don't actually own the Ikelite housing yet and after reading many posts on this forum I was wondering if I'm making a mistake and should be looking at splash housings down to 20ft max for a better seal? Most shots will be take snorkeling or in waves.
andrew222

Postby bvanant » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:18 pm

I think the Ike housing will be quite useful much more so than a splash housing. As for the polarizer, it would take lots of work to get one that is optically nice enough to use for a gel filter in the back of the lens. Also with such a large FOV, you would get very uneven polarization of the sky.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby andrew222 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:54 pm

Thanks for the reply Bill. A shame about the filter as it would have been great.

Yes, I hadn't even looked at splash housings until I started reading some posts here and a few other websites. I just got my Open Water certificate last summer in Maui so perhaps the Ike housing would be a good all rounder.

Have you heard of Nimar? Only found this last night and they appear to be cheaper and have one port included in the price.

http://www.housingcamera.com/Nimar-UW-H ... d-3012.htm

Andrew
andrew222

Postby bvanant » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm

Nimar is the Italian version of Ikelite. Personally I think that I would get the Ike housing since they are close and have great service. Sending a housing back to Italy for a repair would be a giant PITA.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby TatianaTexas » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Yeah, nimar is from italy. I think it's pretty good.
TatianaTexas

Postby andrew222 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm

I ended up getting the Ikelite Underwater Housing plus the 8 inch dome port. Have been enjoying using it in Maui (2 times now) although a lot of practice is needed for the over/under shots especially as the water is never calm at midday when the sunlight is straight above. F22 is almost a must to get the surface view in focus so doesn't leave a lot to play with regarding the rest of the settings. I don't use any strobes for below the surface although that's down to the amount of equipment I have to take on holiday. My wife refuses to be a packhorse :(

Going to try some gel filters in September out on the Barrier Reef, QLD as there's hopefully a bit more color in the coral compared to Maui.

Andrew
andrew222

Return to Underwater Photography Questions