Help setup my underwater gear please!

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby darkhound » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi,

This is my first post. I have been taking photos for a long time, but never underwater. I want to get started during my trip to Turk and Caicos in Feb, 2011. I'll be doing scubadiving and snorkeling.

I am willing to spend about $1500, so I'm hoping for some suggestions here.

I have a Canon Xti and a 10-22mm lens for it.

But I understand kitting out that camera with a housing is quite expensive (~$2000 for the housing alone). And the Xti is a lot bigger and doesn't have video. My 10-22mm lens also just broke (the zoom is stuck), so I am going to have to spend money to fix it - although this would have to be done anyway.

So I have been thinking about getting a Canon S95 with Canon housing. It is small, so carrying it around shouldn't annoy the wife at all, and it has video.

Also, im learning that there are "wet lens" that I can buy for the S95 that may nice for wide-angle shots, which is the type of photography I like landside.

What do you guys think? Upgrade the xti with a housing, or get the s95, or something else for $1500?

I probably wont get a strobe at this point because the whole setup is too big of a hassle with my wife learning scuba for the first time this trip.

Thx in advance!
darkhound

Postby bvanant » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:11 pm

A lot depends on how "serious" you are as a photographer. The S95/G12 systems are very very nice but they are not in the same league as the Xti. With a DSLR you have lots of options (for which you spend lots of money). Shutter lag, interchangeable lenses etc all favor the Xti. That being said, you might be better off with the S95 in one of the newer housings. Your budget will allow you to get a Canon housing and a strobe which to me is a better option than a fancier (Ikelite/RecSea/Fix) housing with no strobe.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby darkhound » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for your comment. I think I will go for the S95.

The S95 offers video, but more importantly, I will likely be upgrading to the 5D MarkIII once it has come out for a couple years. My xTI (and its housing) will be outdated then, which seems like a waste of money.

By the way, if I have only money for one, which should I get? A wide-angle wet lens, or a strobe? The S95 has a 28mm lens, but I understand the zooming that happens underwater and I like wide-angle photography. On the other hand, I also want nice colors. Any thoughts? The strobe is probably bulkier...
darkhound

Postby scottg » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:20 am

well, this may not help but I think you need both! I couldn't imagine taking photos without a wide-angle lens or a strobe.

But I have done ok without one or the other, and so will you. I think it will be a personal choice which you get first.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby bvanant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:14 pm

darkhound wrote:Thanks for your comment. I think I will go for the S95.

The S95 offers video, but more importantly, I will likely be upgrading to the 5D MarkIII once it has come out for a couple years. My xTI (and its housing) will be outdated then, which seems like a waste of money.

By the way, if I have only money for one, which should I get? A wide-angle wet lens, or a strobe? The S95 has a 28mm lens, but I understand the zooming that happens underwater and I like wide-angle photography. On the other hand, I also want nice colors. Any thoughts? The strobe is probably bulkier...

I would get the strobe first and get competent using it. Of course if you look at our website or any of my galleries, you will see that I never shoot wide angle anyway, macro is so much more fun. :P
But what Scott says is true, you WILL get both, don't try to resist. BTW, you can get great stuff at Scott's new store, check it out.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby darkhound » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks guys. I think I am going with the S95 with the Canon housing and the Inon UWL-H100 28AD lens when it comes out. And then add a strobe at some point... I'll have to get it!
darkhound

Return to Underwater Photography Questions