lighting in pool water:)

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby riss » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:47 pm

hello everyone so yes im super new and have a dilemma about lighting in an INDOOR pool.
My housing does not have any connections for strobes or any other light.(it was a super good deal:) i want to photography babies!(http://www.littleurchins.com zena holloway of course) ...so could a strobe stay on contantly? or would a dive light or focus light be better? how strong should the lights be? what brand? how many?,,would adusting the white balance and perhaps getting those "magic filters" be better or would it be better to change color in photoshop so your focus/f is not slower? :shock:
Sorry for all the questions and i know this website is SUPER informative but most of it is for deep sea and im not sure if the same rules apply? I even read the pool photography but not very specific for what i need to know.......if anyone can help out i would SO SO greatly appreciate it!

a very desperate newbie from california :oops:
Riss
riss

Postby bvanant » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:03 pm

I think you are going to have severe problems with CW lighting in an indoor pool and not have any strobes. If you get enough light near the pool deck you can get some nice pics (maybe) but most likely you won't be able to get the kind of quality your customers will need. Maybe you should rent a camera system since it appears that you don't quite have the tools necessary for the job yet.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby riss » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm

hey thanks for your input..i appreciate it...tho what is CW lighting?...yeah im really new sorry:(
~riss
riss

Postby bvanant » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:36 pm

riss wrote:hey thanks for your input..i appreciate it...tho what is CW lighting?...yeah im really new sorry:(
~riss

Sorry for the technical mumbo jumbo. CW means continuous lighting; think big lightbulbs or what you see in a studio shot.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Vizart » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:54 am

riss wrote:hello everyone so yes im super new and have a dilemma about lighting in an INDOOR pool.
My housing does not have any connections for strobes or any other light.(it was a super good deal:) i want to photography babies!(http://www.littleurchins.com zena holloway of course) ...so could a strobe stay on contantly? or would a dive light or focus light be better? how strong should the lights be? what brand? how many?,,would adusting the white balance and perhaps getting those "magic filters" be better or would it be better to change color in photoshop so your focus/f is not slower? :shock:
Sorry for all the questions and i know this website is SUPER informative but most of it is for deep sea and im not sure if the same rules apply? I even read the pool photography but not very specific for what i need to know.......if anyone can help out i would SO SO greatly appreciate it!

a very desperate newbie from california :oops:
Riss

Can you give us more info, what is the camera and the housing, it might be possible to gett optical triggered strobe running on your housing, or maybe have some strobe connector installed ... or not, knowing what camera and housing you have will help. Indoor pool are typically ruthless, with either poor lighting or mixed lighting (industrial light + daylight) very bad combination for color and for getting stop action shutter speed. the strobes main quality is to provide quick burst of light at a sufficient level to stop (freeze) the action of the subject, shooting with available light in a indoor pool will more than likely result in blurry subject due to either camera movement (you), subject movement (blurry limbs) or a combination of both you and the subject, you can raise the ISO value, but there is normally a steep price in quality to pay for this increase.

On the other if you have large window, time your session when the sun is shinning through these, for filling in the shadow, you can uses foldable Lite Disc type of reflector or you can go to the auto strore and get windshield shade (preferrably the plain white one without the Tweety bird on them :D ), they are inexpensive and seem to hold on pretty well (at least mines) underwater. If you manage to find silver/aluminum ones, then you will have more light bouncing back on your subject. I typically use these reflectors mainly outside (and being Canadian, should I say, in the summer only) and will ask if the pump for the pool can be ut down. otherwise the reflector will act as a sail and will be a PITA to kep in position .
Jean Bruneau, Aquatica Technical Adviser
3025 De Baene
Montreal, Quebec
Canada, H4S 1K8

jean@aquatica.ca

514-737-9481
Vizart

Return to Underwater Photography Questions