Parablennius pilicornis on my Powershot

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby bvanant » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 pm

I like the composition of the photos very much. I also like the fact that you are only using one strobe and don't mind the backscatter (which is minimal) at all. I like shadows since they lend depth to many pics. My criticism of these pics is that they are not lit enough. I think you need to increase the power level of the strobe a bit, on my calibrated monitor they all appear a bit dark.

I would also recommend that you look at the strobe positioning tutorial on this site and get a copy of Martin Edge's fourth edition book. Both do a really good job of explaining strobe positioning for taking these kinds of pictures.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby MOliveira » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Alessandro,

I didn´t try using the strobe in a advanced (more near of the subject then camera). Maybe I would try next time.
When you mean advanced, do you mean like in this picture:
IMG_3887b.JPG
(51.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Next week, I´m planning to buy a flexible arm to attach on the left side of the tray, for my Barbolight (to macro a focus light is a must). I think I can DIY a sistem to old some kind of reflective surface. Thanks for the ideia...
I like to have some DIY projects, expecially when this atlantic sea is high (tomorrow have 4,9 mts waves and wind of 17 to 39 knots), and we have to be dry.

Last weekend I finish a snoot... I´ll post some photos of it when I try it.

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the reply.
I have the Martin Edge's third edition book, and had already the 4th in my hands on the books store, but I think that it doesn´t have much diference. Do you think it is better the 4th?
For me it is like a enciclopedia... I read it several times... I learn a lot.

I´m still learning... I think I have the knowledge and teory in my mind, but miss the pratical. I need to dive, dive, dive...

I´m tending to use the M mode (camera and flash), because I can control the speed to the background and the aperture for the foreground. To improve the light maybe I´ll try more often (in macro) the TTL mode (in TV to have some control of the speed).
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi, is the forward position is what I've shown in the picture. Always keeping the same arm position also tries to converge or diverge the flash at the optical axis.

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Postby MOliveira » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks. I got it (finally :oops: ).

With my compact rig probably I´ll need to be more close to the macro object. I use a 10 diop land lens (single glass) that allow me to be a bit distance but never more than 0,5 mt.
I like it expecially because it reduce de DOF (compact, even on macro mode, tend to have lot of DOF), and give me some more magnification (using max tele zoom).
I think it gives bad de-focus background (see first photo posted), creating some round halos (almost like tele-mirror lens)... I belive it is the oposite of good "bokeh", right?
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:35 am

Hi, the use of a wet lens results in a decrease of sharpness at the edges of the image. For this you must use high quality lenses properly corrected. However, the results you are getting are very good. If you can, while shooting, further reduces the distance from the subject.

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Previous

Return to Underwater Photos