Parablennius pilicornis on my Powershot

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby MOliveira » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:04 pm

It is one of the most cooperative fish to take some nice photos. I´d like to have some wise comments, because I know I did mistake on some points here.

Canon Powershot A590Is
Iso 80
Manual Mode
1/160
F5.5
23mm (140mm equiv. 35mm)
Inon Z-240 (manual ½ power)
Macro lens: 12€ macro +10 terrain lens

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1707.JPG
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby MOliveira » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:28 am

Another one:
Attachments
IMG_1675.JPG
Manual, 1/160, f7.1, 23mm (140mm equiv. 35mm), Inon Z-240 (manual ½ power), Macro lens: 12€ macro +10 terrain lens.
Canon Powershot A590Is, Ikelite housing, ULCS Tray and handle, 10bar arms, Inon Z-240 Type4, Inon UWL-100, Land 10diop macro lens
MOliveira

Postby MOliveira » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:50 am

Finally I took this one before it goes out:
Attachments
IMG_1677.JPG
Manual, 1/160, f7.1, 23mm (140mm equiv. 35mm), Inon Z-240 (manual ½ power), Macro lens: 12€ macro +10 terrain lens. Another one:
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:11 am

Hi, this subject is very nice and lends itself to being photographed. The shots are nice, but what I notice is the presence of back-scattering. This probably depends on an incorrect angle of the flash. You need to bring more flash porthole of the housing is angled way to exploit the most peripheral of the light beam generated by the flash.

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Postby MOliveira » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post Alessandro.

Yes, it´s one of the things I know that need to get better it´s the backscatter.
One of my dificulties is to see in the tiny (and low resolution) LCD of my camera if there was any backscatter in the pictures. Is impossible. So I have to learn with try and error.

I toke this photos with the strobe aimed straith ahead with a 20 cm arm. So I think the distance between strobe and lens was about 30 cm (because the handle, clamps and strobe adapter).
That day, in other dive, I toke some photos with a UWL-100 and used a second 20 cm arm... those photos were almost 100% clean of backscatter... Maybe, I need to experiment that lenght also on macro.

What do you think about composition?
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Hello, the composition is excellent. The only downside is that if you are very close to the subject you create harsh shadows on the opposite side to the position of the flash. As part of the macro picture and my favorite place I've ever taken even in the context of national and international competitions is one that places the flash with a 20cm arm positioned on the same level of optics. But I should point out that using two diametrically opposed and advanced flash. To make you better understand you place a photo of me in action.

apnea.jpg

In this way the particles are illuminated side and front, reducing the illuminated area and thus their visibility in the shot.
As for use with wide lenses is required to use longer arms that make it possible to remove and pull the flash from the optical axis.
I also understand that, through the monitor of your compact, you can not appreciate the presence of strong back-scattering but know that I too have the same problems looking at the monitor of my camera after the shoot. So the important thing is to treat the position of the flash and strike a compromise with the visibility conditions at that time in water.

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Postby MOliveira » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:46 am

Yep, I understand your favorite setup, with 2 strobes. You can get better ilumination (and soft).

Here in Atlantic (Portugal), ususally the visibility is poor, with lot of suspention. Some times I have to deal with 1 or 2 mts of visibility. I belive, that this way I could learn better how to improve my photos.

In the picture below, I show my setup. Those pictures were taken with the arm vertically (continuing from the handle) and the strobe at is maximum distance possible from the lens (not like in the picture). On the vertically pictures (last 2), I just turn all the set 90º degrees, so the strobe went to one of the sides.
Attachments
IMG_0796b.JPG
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:16 am

I imagined that practice in the Atlantic, as the P.pilicornis is typical of this coast for nearly a decade and has become common even in my part of the Mediterranean basin.
I understand how you use your configuration. Have you tried as well as to rotate the arm 90 degrees and bring the same level, to tilt it toward the optical axis of about twenty degrees?
Try to put it as one of my of my photos I showed you a slightly more advanced. Experiment by changing from time to time, the inclination toward the optical axis and then scores the best.

Greetings
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Postby MOliveira » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:24 pm

I´m not sure I understood what you mean.

I took some dry pictures of my setup, trying to reach your explanation:
IMG_3866b.JPG
Same level like this?

IMG_3887b.JPG
Tilt it toward at 20º like this?
(51.25 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I belive this way (above), there is lot of burst form the strobe... causing even more back-scatter... don´t you think so?

These is more like I use to do:

IMG_3875b.JPG
This is the way I took the Blennius above, except the arm was perpendicular to tray base.
(54.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet

IMG_3885b.JPG
This is the way I think is better when in present of low vis.
(45.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I think that with only one strobe is more dificult to have soft, free of hard shadows, macro shot on low vis conditions.

Thank you for your patience...
MOliveira

Postby Alessandro Pagano » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:00 am

Hi, you understand perfectly what I meant. Have you tried using the configuration with an angle of about 20 °, but with the flash at a slightly more advanced? The approach used by you is correct, but as you have rightly noted the shadows are very marked. With a single flash, unfortunately, can do little to limit you may consider using a small panel in reflective material, positioned on the opposite side as if it were just another flash that is supposed to reflect a small part of the light emitted from the flash to the shaded areas.

A cordial greeting
Alessandro
Alessandro Pagano

Next

Return to Underwater Photos