Shooting fish

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby Aussie_dave » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:14 am

I have recently had pretty good results shooting medium-sized fish with Inon UFL-165AD wide angle zoomed all the way in. Just chase them around and keep snapping.

- Dave

Angelic.jpg
Angelic.jpg (173.88 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

Fish smoko.jpg
Fish smoko.jpg (180.99 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

Bluey.jpg
Bluey.jpg (178.2 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

Sweetpeek.jpg
Sweetpeek.jpg (179.15 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby cristiansub » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 am

You stay too far from the subjects, IMHO.
Go more close.

Hello,
Cristian.
cristiansub

Postby smb2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 pm

I would have to agree. A little more "stalking" to get closer, but it is not easy. Especially with the Trigger, they can be shy.
The P. xanthometopon, Yellow Mask, or in the States, Blue Face angel is one of my favorite fish. A nice full face shot would be amazing.
smb2

Postby Aussie_dave » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for taking the time to the comment, guys.

You are both right that closer is better, and we all spend hours trying to approach these skittish creatures. If you could point out how these photos technically suffer from the distance, maybe I (and other readers) would understand what we have to gain by sneaking closer? C'mon, I can take it!

- Dave
Aussie_dave

Postby smb2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Technically I do not think there is an issue with the images. For me it is the difference between documenting the fish you have seen and creating an image that other people might enjoy seeing.
The more images I capture the more old ones I throw out. As you work at it, you will be less satisfied by a well exposed standard fish picture. Further more, when you get that nice Blue Face head shot, or a pair up close interacting, (well exposed and tack sharp) not only will you be happy, but everybody (certainly in this forum) will appreciate the effort that goes into such an image!
From there it's composition and personal preference.
Attachments
182 Queen Profile copy.jpg
Same fish after 45 min of sitting and trying to get the shot just when it came out of its hole. For me this is a more dramatic image.
126 Porto Marie 107 200912 - Version 2 copy.jpg
This was hard to get because jev. Queens are flighty and hard to find. But I still consider this a documentary shot.
smb2

Postby scottg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I think Dave's shots look nice, they give a wide-angle perspective showing the fish in the background. Of course you could round out your portfolio by getting some closeup shots like Stanley has shown you with your fisheye lens off, or you could keep the fisheye on and get even closer to non-skittish fish that sit on the ground.

thanks for sharing the photos! just remember those fish will get tired of swimming away from you eventually.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby Aussie_dave » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start with something lazy like a lizardfish or scorpionfish, and work my way up to captivating views of juvenile angelfish!

- Dave
Aussie_dave

Return to Underwater Photos