focus light advice please

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby imtoad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi,
I have a Canon s90 in a Fix housing with a Sea and Sea YS110a strobe and often use the double flip down macro lenses. Most of my diving is off the Channel Islands where visibility is often marginal. I was using the Fix Mini LED focus light and it didn't seem to be quite bright enough. I chose it because of the price, size and the fact that it shut off when the flash was on (although it often didn't turn back on). I managed to flood it and was looking at the Sola 600 compact to replace it. If this sounds a bit ludachris considering the fact that I'm broke, I am due a refund at an U W photo store that has been giving me the runaround for months so I figured that I may as well treat it as a "store credit" instead. I was wondering if the 679 lumens spread over a 75 degree beam would compete with my strobe and make it hard to take photos with side lighting since there would always be a front light source.
Thanks, Hilary
Canon s90, Fix housing, YS-110a strobe, Fix 2 lens flip macro and Fix UWL-04 Fisheye lenses R.I.P. -Fix mini focus light
imtoad

Postby Aussie_dave » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 am

Hi Hilary -

A mate of mine on my recent trip to PNG was getting annoying, raving about his new Sola 600 so much! He used it with a G10/FIX setup and single Inon D2000 strobe. He didn't mention any unwanted lighting from using it as a focus light. The red mode allowed him to approach timid subjects. He also used the Sola as a main light source for some macro and CFWA shots (strobe turned off). Also great for night dives on lowest power setting. Very tidy unit.

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby bvanant » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:18 pm

imtoad wrote:Hi,
I have a Canon s90 in a Fix housing with a Sea and Sea YS110a strobe and often use the double flip down macro lenses. Most of my diving is off the Channel Islands where visibility is often marginal. I was using the Fix Mini LED focus light and it didn't seem to be quite bright enough. I chose it because of the price, size and the fact that it shut off when the flash was on (although it often didn't turn back on). I managed to flood it and was looking at the Sola 600 compact to replace it. If this sounds a bit ludachris considering the fact that I'm broke, I am due a refund at an U W photo store that has been giving me the runaround for months so I figured that I may as well treat it as a "store credit" instead. I was wondering if the 679 lumens spread over a 75 degree beam would compete with my strobe and make it hard to take photos with side lighting since there would always be a front light source.
Thanks, Hilary

The SOLA is great and does not show up at all in pics where the strobe fires if you choose the appropriate fstop. If you are shooting in manual and get reasonable exposures from the strobe then you will have no worries.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby imtoad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks for the info! I'm going to go ahead and see if they'll send it.
Thank, Hilary
Canon s90, Fix housing, YS-110a strobe, Fix 2 lens flip macro and Fix UWL-04 Fisheye lenses R.I.P. -Fix mini focus light
imtoad

Postby Aussie_dave » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:47 pm

All three photographers aboard S/Y Siren Mandarin last week in Raja Ampat used Fisheye focus lites; two carked it by flooding (mine included). I think they're meant to be disposable. Now looking at alternatives. Any ideas in a similar price range?

- Dave
Aussie_dave

Postby bvanant » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:33 pm

Aussie_dave wrote:All three photographers aboard S/Y Siren Mandarin last week in Raja Ampat used Fisheye focus lites; two carked it by flooding (mine included). I think they're meant to be disposable. Now looking at alternatives. Any ideas in a similar price range?

- Dave

Fisheye makes focus lights that cost between $49 and $600 so which ones flooded and which price range are you interested in?
In the less than $100 range, the Fantasea 44 LED light is OK but not very bright. In the $150 range the Boss 250 lumen lights are quite nice. If you want to spend more than that, the I-video is bright and uses 4AA batteries. Beyond that get the Sola 500/600 from L&M they are awesome but pricey.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Aussie_dave » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:02 am

The floods were in those little Fisheye lights that use 4 AAA's.

I really like the looks of the Boss BigBlue 5W LED Focus Light, thanks for the tip!

- Dave
Aussie_dave

Return to Compact Camera Corner