SoCal Rockfish/Sculpin & Worm ID

Marine Life Id, Critter Books, Marine Life conservation news, etc.

Moderators: Leslie Harris, nwscubamom

Postby 2ndjetty » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Hi all - I took my new camera rig out for the second time yesterday and am not positive on the IDs. I figure I'll get them right the first time so that I know what I'm looking at moving forward.

Thanks for the help!

I think this is a rockfish or a sculpin, just not sure which and couldn't tell from the images on the fish ID link.

Same on this, but I think it's a worm or slug :- )
2ndjetty

Postby Kevin Lee » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi 2ndJetty (sorry I don't see your name anywhere),
Congratulations on your new camera. You have many more hours of fun ahead.
Your first image is the fish Oxylebius pictus, Painted Greenling.
And you second, Parastichopus californicus, California Sea Cucumber.
Best wishes,
Kevin Lee

Postby 2ndjetty » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am

Thanks Kevin! It's funny how I've managed to skip over learning the real names of common life like this. Got a lot of learning to do.
2ndjetty

Postby seekncritters » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Brent - Congrats on the new camera! I'm sure you will be learning the names of all of the critters at an accelerating rate now that you will have images to take home with you :D .

Wanted to point you to a good reference for local marine life ID, in case you haven't seen it yet:

http://www.ladiving.org/fieldguide.html

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby scottg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:11 pm

hey Brendt, looks like Dana and Kevin helped you out. I see you are in MDR just like I am, you'll have to join us on one of our photography charters soon. How many local dives do you have?

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby 2ndjetty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 am

Thanks Dana - I've got it bookmarked.

Hi Scott - I'm ready to dive and meet other photographers anytime (except maybe this week!). To date I've been diving in sporadic phases, but with my new camera I'm going to be diving all the time (I've been shooting my dslr on land for a year now and finally merged hobbies). I've only got around 140 local dives, a good half of which are solo off the beach. I surf every day there's waves and always keep an eye on the ocean. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else here.
2ndjetty

Postby nwscubamom » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Brent!

I'm a bit late to the party here, but yeah, Painted Greenling (you can think of its pointed snout as a paintbrush and those red bars have been painted on) and the California Sea Cucumber (because it has a nice tan) and all those fake thorns! Not really sharp, just look funky.

Welcome and feel free anytime you want to post anything that's a mystery to you!

- Janna :)
--------------
Janna Nichols
www.pnwscuba.com
Outreach Coordinator
www.REEF.org
nwscubamom

Postby 2ndjetty » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks Janna!
2ndjetty

Return to Marine Life and Critters