sTTL or Manual? Which is better for the G11?

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby cyberon » Sat May 15, 2010 6:41 am

I am considering getting the Inon S2000 for my Canon G11, as the G11 does not pre-flash in manual mode, to use sTTL I would probably be shooting under Av mode.

Would this be more of a pain as the camera would probably be choosing a slower shutter speed than I would have liked or would this be fine?

In your opinion, would I be better off to shoot full manual instead and forget about sTTL?

Ronald
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby tswinner » Sat May 15, 2010 7:34 am

Hey Ronald,

Well I like shooting with manual strobe settings all the time. I feel it gives you much more control but you will have to work harder at your photography.
I'm not that familiar with point and shoot set-ups so I'm not sure how your camera / strobe would work in Av mode. Hopefully someone else can answer that.

Todd
Todd Winner

Techniques Editor
Underwater Photography Guide
winnerphotography@me.com
http://www.toddwinner.com
tswinner

Postby smb2 » Sat May 15, 2010 8:05 am

Not that familiar with the G11 set up but I have two friends with brand new G11 rigs coming to visit at the end of this month just to try out their new cameras. So maybe I will know a little more then.

The beauty of digital of course is that you can try both and know almost instantly what works.
Like Todd, I shoot only manual. Most of the time you will be controlling light with f stop (and the flashes at full power) but you will then start to get creative playing with flash out put and positioning.
Also http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/under ... mera-modes

Don't forget to send some images using both routines.
smb2

Postby James » Sat May 15, 2010 9:49 am

With your G11 or G10 and an Inon S2000 strobe with the magnet installed shoot with the camera in manual and the strobe in manual. Match your f stop on the camera to the f stop on the strobe power knob. Obviously to under or over expose you can vary your f stop and or strobe power knob.

Now, the sTTL, IMO, based on my use of the sTTL mode now in three different cameras, I think you will have better results in P vs Auto or you can try Av mode.

Shooting in sTTL in Av mode you will want the camera set in the Menu to automatic flash.

JFYI, sTTL selection on the S/D2000 overrides magnet switch position. With the S2000 magnet position is only relevant with the Inon S2000 in the Manual strobe setting.

You can also shoot your G11 with Inon S2000 in Av mode and the Inon S2000 in Manual mode. Set the magnet switch to magnet installed. Set the G11 flash under menu to Manual and then set power to 1/3 or lowest, I forget exactly how it reads in the G11 instruction manual. You can play some tricks like this letting the G11 expose for the background and the strobe for near ground/subject.

Shooting the G11 in Manual mode, set the Inon S2000 to manual and then expose the background via shutter speed selection, use strobe and f stop for near or subject.

JFYI, general note, the S2000 working in sTTL mode will respond to the camera's flash when the camera's flash is operating in Auto. Auto flash is default in A/P and selectable in Av and Tv but factory default is auto until you select it to manual in Menu. So, what does this mean, well, it means you can bias exposure with the strobe by increasing or decreasing flash exposure EV plus or minus two stop under Func Set. Of course, you can also, obviously, alter flash exposure directly with your S2000 using the power knob.

I think I got all of that right, lol ;).

The OP may already know all this, I am just putting it down for all to pick at. :shock:

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby cyberon » Sat May 15, 2010 5:02 pm

Thanks James for your detailed posting! I will save that on my PC to experiment when my S2000 arrives.

Cheers!

Ronald
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Return to Underwater Photography Questions