Fix S90 button problem?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby topjake » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Anyone else ever have any problem with the buttons on the Fix housing not activating the cameras functions at depth? Everything is great until about 100 feet and then I can only activate the on/off and shutter button. No ring controls or back buttons...

Thanks for the help. Jake
topjake

Postby James » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:23 pm

There was one similar report but I forget the details of it. I think he sent the housing back to Reef and they adjusted it.

Intuitively you would think the controls would work better at depth because the back door would be squeezed inward slightly reducing the gap.

Do you think that there is a stuck button that does not spring back fully at depth?

Are you sure there are no obstructions like desiccant packs, tape, add-ons inside the housing that are interfering?

JFYI, I have been, well, shhh, some where around 200 feet or perhaps a bit more with mine and all was well.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby topjake » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks James, no stuck button at depth as I can turn it on/off, push shutter and MF button as well as change shooting modes via top dial. None of the other buttons or front or back ring controls activate the camera's functions below about 100 feet.

Yes, it does seem counter intuitive to me as well...I have nothing in the housing to interfere with the alignment.

I am here diving wrecks in Truk lagoon and paired with the fix UWL it has been producing some stunning photos for a P&S. I was diving the Nippo Maru yesterday and unfortunately couldn't adjust f/stop and shutter speeds at depth.

Good to know I could dive it down to its rated depth and maybe a little bit more . . . your informative posts here are always very helpful. Thank-you. Jake.
topjake

Postby James » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 pm

This is just an idea, take a piece of paper and make a shim to sit in front of the RH side of the camera, put it in and then set the camera down on it.

Make sure you press the camera in, especially the two RH corners and then push the mode wheel control down snugly onto the mode dial, then close the back. Then try just the opposite, LH rear (careful not to catch it in the door!!!!!!

Warning, I cannot take responsibility, lol. My thought is that there is a camera misalignment. I am still thinking there may also be a control that is not returning fully at depth.

One other thing, make sure that the zoom control is properly seated, I once accidentally, somehow, got it partially jammed and the camera would misbehave because the control was partially pressed/jammed.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby topjake » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:21 pm

We must be thinking the same thing ... I have cut some shims to put in both front and back to see if that helps, although that seems like a long shot ... I'll double check the alignment in the housing and be on the lookout for any stuck buttons and/or zoom control.

I'll let you know what I figure out. Thanks. Jake
topjake

Postby topjake » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Update: looks like it is the shutter spring. Beyond about 100 feet the shutter presses half-way and I am unable to adjust shutter speed, f-stop etc. some times i am able to pull up on shutter lever to get it to reset. Now how to fix? Probably has to be sent back to have a stronger spring put in. And BTW, I have had it well below it's advertised operating depth....

Thanks again James for your help!
topjake

Return to Compact Camera Corner