First shots with dslr system

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby wommby » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:24 am

Hi,

Have just returned from Lady Musgrave in Queensland - Australia. These are a couple of my very first shots from my new system. This is my first dslr and I have a d700 with a nauticam housing. Most shots were taken with either the 15mm fisheye lens or the 60mm macro.

Comments most welcome.

Deb
Attachments
_DSC4226email1.jpg
_DSC4226email1.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
_DSC4031email1.jpg
_DSC4031email1.jpg (163.86 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
_DSC3710email1.jpg
_DSC3710email1.jpg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
_DSC3727email1.jpg
_DSC3727email1.jpg (126.26 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
wommby

Postby Karl » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 am

Very nice, Lady Musgrave is one of those places I'd love to dive if I ever get over to the east coast.

Karl
Karl

Postby Aussie_dave » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Very nice, Deb. The detail is very crisp in the nudi's rhinophores & gills, and the turtle shot is so clear it doesn't look like it's underwater! Great debut shots from a new system.

How was the change from compact to dSLR? What do you like best/miss most?

- Dave
Canon S90, FIX S90 housing, Inon UFL-165AD, Inon UCL-165AD, S&S YS-01
Aussie_dave

Postby Critternut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I remember when i finally made the jump. First i shot film topside,my only underwater film camera was a minolta sport 110, The film version of a point and shoot. Then with the advent of digital i learned how to look into the back of the camera body and compose. Except once the flash fired i ended up with fish butts....

The switch to a D-slr was quick and the payoff was almost instant. I have been trying to get it all right since,,,Good luck and remember to always have fun!
Mike Bartick~Critternut
www.saltwaterphoto.com
Critternut

Postby wommby » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi Dave,

The change from compact to dSLR was fairly easy. I spent a couple of months topside getting used to the camera first.

I first bought the 14-24mm lens but wasn't quite sure of the soft edges underwater so I went and bought the Sigma 15mm fisheye and I love it.

What I like best is the wide angle capabilities and the crisp clear photos. I do miss the minimal weight of the compact but you have to give up something to go better so I am just having to get used to the weight of the system out of water. Underwater it is magic and I can't wait to get back in the water for another dive.

Deb

Karl,

Yes, it was my first trip to this area. Will be diving Byron Bay in Feb next year and hope to get some leopard sharks and maybe mantas.

Deb

Critternut,

I guess I will be constantly trying to get it all right for the millennium like you but I will make sure I have fun in the mean time.

Thanks for all your remarks. It's great to get some positive feedback on what you are doing. It keeps you enthused to keep going.

Cheers - Deb
wommby

Postby Salil Sahani » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Nice Photos :)
The Nudi One is Really Lovely :)
Salil S Sahani
Wildlife Photographer Freelance
http://salilsahaniphotography.com
Salil Sahani

Postby scottg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:32 pm

hey Deb - you are off to a great start! I'd try to start getting closer to your subjects, and work on other compositions other than centering the subject.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby adrisub » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi , really nice pictures!!!
I just came back from Galapagos and it was my first experience with DSLR.
I used to have a sony p200 for underwater pictures and a d300 for outside and finally made the jump!I used a sea & sea housing , dome port , two ds51 ikelite strobes and a tokina 10-17 lens.
I suffered a bit with the currents in galapagos and the great volume of the housing and flashes, also there was a lot of particles in the water , wich was also green.
Another challenge was that with a compact I was used to put on or take off my wet lenses ,macro or wide angle. Diving just with one type of lens makes you focus in one kind of pictures. Oh and I was used to certain shutter delay and taking pictures before they happened the result with the d300 was a lot of fish with no tail! But the truth is I do not miss my compact even though I found it more difficult to take average pictures , it was easier to take great ones. I know I have a lot to learn.but i will get there...
Attachments
GAL_1879cflickr.jpg
GAL_1867cflickr.jpg
GAL_1969resize.jpg
yellowtail surgeon fish
adri
adrisub

Return to Underwater Photos