LX5 or G12 ?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby cardiver » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm tossing around the idea of a second uw set up. I'm seriously considering the new LX5 and the new G12 (or maybe S95).
Pro's and con's ?
Right now I have the DX2G and dual YS01 strobes.
cardiver

Postby James » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:58 am

OK, what type of photography are you interested in?

Wide angle, meaning a field of view greater than 120 degrees? Macro? Action, natural light, strobe?

OK, which camera and housing can accomplish your photographic interests? The cheapest is not always the best, neither is the most expensive, the best system for you is the one that allows you to accomplish the shots you have in your head.

Not all cameras and housing are compatible with accessory lenses. Not all strobe sync well with all cameras or mate as easily with particular housings without have to "make" parts.

Think in terms of a "system" approach. If whale sharks are your thing, a camera that cannot accept a wide angle lens is useless, if macro shots of little snails are your thing, a camera that does not perform well with macro lenses is going to be frustrating.

If HD video is your thing, IMO, buy a video camera.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby cardiver » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 am

James wrote:OK, what type of photography are you interested in?

Wide angle, meaning a field of view greater than 120 degrees? Macro? Action, natural light, strobe?

OK, which camera and housing can accomplish your photographic interests? The cheapest is not always the best, neither is the most expensive, the best system for you is the one that allows you to accomplish the shots you have in your head.

Not all cameras and housing are compatible with accessory lenses. Not all strobe sync well with all cameras or mate as easily with particular housings without have to "make" parts.

Think in terms of a "system" approach. If whale sharks are your thing, a camera that cannot accept a wide angle lens is useless, if macro shots of little snails are your thing, a camera that does not perform well with macro lenses is going to be frustrating.

If HD video is your thing, IMO, buy a video camera.

James

99% of what I've been shooting for the past 6 years has been macro in 5-15' viz and usually zero ambient light.
My DX2G is fine but I'm looking at adding a second set up.
cardiver

Postby James » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:47 pm

The Panasonic is a great camera but housing options are somewhat limited. The G10/11/12 and Canon S90/S95 have or will have supposedly more housing options available.

The S90 is probably closest to the Panasonic in operation/design and the FIX housing is very precise allowing full and complete control of the camera. it is assumed but not announced that there will be a FIX S95 housing.

FIX:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... google.com

The new Nikon P7000 has a new Fantasea molded housing very similar to the look of your DX2 camera and Fantasea promises a range of accessories, however, the bubble lens wide angle concept, yawn, not so impressed--but this may be an excellent macro camera.

http://nikonrumors.com/2010/09/13/fanta ... p7000.aspx

http://www.fantasea.com/Product_Releases/PR_FP7000.html

Macro, probably G11 with FIX housing

Macro, wide angle, greatest versatility, faster lens, Canon S90 with FIX housing.

Another potential candidate is the Oly ELP1 with the Oly housing.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby Durhampro » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Is there even a housing available for the G12 yet?
I'm not getting one myself I love my G11
Durhampro

Postby terenceg » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:35 pm

If you want mobility get s95 as this beauty fits perfectly inside your pocket. G12 and LX5 can't do that without having a bulge on ur pants.:p

I have LX5 with 10bar casing which i recently bought in Hong Kong and is so much cheaper. Aproximately RM 1900 for 10bar casing (go convert to ur own currency)
~Not All That Glitters is Gold~
terenceg

Postby Cmiller91301 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Durhampro wrote:Is there even a housing available for the G12 yet?
I'm not getting one myself I love my G11

There is a housing for the G12 from Canon, if you do not want to spend 1K for the FIX housing. Only drawback to the Canon housing is that you cannot use the front wheel that is new to the G12.

Being a newbie to UW photography, I am currently using the Canon housing. When I use
(M)anual Mode, I use the shortcut button to adjust f-stops and speed, since I cannot use the wheel .
Cmiller91301

Postby DigiSnapper » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:12 pm

I recently purchased a G12 / WP-DC34, but am having second thoughts about the OEM housing. I'm still debating on a strobe setup (will likely be the YS-110A,) but this nagging voice in the back of my head keeps pointing out the inability to add a decent wet lense (as the few that are made for the OEM housing aren't very good.) The Fisheye G12 housing looks like a very nice option, but despite being made for the G12 the photos suggest that you still won't have access to the front wheel. That said, the piece that mounts over the in-built flash (and front wheel, presumably) for connecting fiber optic cables looks to be much easier than using a strobe mask kit. If you didn't want to dive your strobes you could take that piece off and use the in-built flash.

Has anyone out there actually used the FIX G12 housing? I'd like to hear from someone that it's actually worth the price that it's going for. For me, I'm stuck between the FIX and the Ikelite G12 housing, but the Ikelite isn't nearly as streamlined as the FIX.

Thanks!
DigiSnapper

Postby Karl » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:33 am

I have ordered the G12 with the FIX housing from Backscatter (got to love the high Aussie $$) but it hasn't turned up yet - I can't wait.

Moving up from the Sea & Sea DX-2G. I am keeping my twin YS27 strobes to use with the new set up.

I have also ordered the UN LCD monitor hood to go with it. I will put up some photos once it turns up.

Karl
Karl

Postby scottg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:00 pm

The people who manufactured the Fix G10 / S90 housings, are now making the Recsea G12 housings.

We have them in stock at Bluewater Photo, and they are definitely worth the money over the less expensive housings. The build quality is excellent, you have access to all control rings, and you have numerous wet lens options. We also have the Ikelite and Canon G12 housings, please feel free to call to discuss the differences in detail.

Scott

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Return to Compact Camera Corner