Using snoots in underwater photography

Ask about gear, cameras, lenses, technique or lighting

Moderators: tswinner, bvanant

Postby scottg » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:16 am

I posted an article on using snoots in your underwater photography.

Feel free to ask questions, or post your snoot photos here!

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/underwater-snoots

Pikeblenny from Bonaire, photo by Bill Van Antwerp

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby dons13 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:35 am

Scott, you really are the best..
Today when I was browsing for macro lens, I see a snoots picture in one of online store and wondering what is this thing..
And thanks to you, now I know about snoots.. :D
DonS
Canon G11, Patima Housing, Sea&Sea Strobe, Inon Macrolens
dons13

Postby DevilDiver » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:12 am

Scott,

It seems the Symphony Snoots are secured with a Velcro strap. What are your observations on this? It seems kinda unreliable....

Are the attachments secure to the snoot body or is there a possibility of falling off?

How much of a PITA is this to carry on a dive when not in use? I am not big on dangelies and gear swinging in the current, I like to keep everything thight and clipped off.
"DevilDiver"
Shawn Rener
DevilDiver

Postby bvanant » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:07 am

DevilDiver wrote:Scott,

It seems the Symphony Snoots are secured with a Velcro strap. What are your observations on this? It seems kinda unreliable....

Are the attachments secure to the snoot body or is there a possibility of falling off?

How much of a PITA is this to carry on a dive when not in use? I am not big on dangelies and gear swinging in the current, I like to keep everything thight and clipped off.

The Scuba Symphony snoots are indeed held on with Velcro and are not terribly reliably held on. What I do is to take a small strobe, (S2000 or D2000) that can be optically triggered and mount it to a Gorilla pod. I put a zip tie around the gorilla pod and clip the whole thing to my BC. Once I reach the scene where I want to use the snoot, I unclip, set it up, compose and shoot. Not too big a PITA since I modified my snoot to attach to the strobe much more securely.

One thing to remember is that shooting with snoots is fairly contemplative, this isn't point and shoot away and hope something good happens. It takes time and a bit of fussing around to get the snoot pointed correctly and get the shot.

Shooting with the snoot mounted to the strobe that is mounted to the housing FOR ME is not something that is satisfying at all, since there is way too much going on. Having the snoot on a separate strobe is MY preferred method but then again, I mostly (OK, only) shoot macro stuff.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby TomR1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 am

What kind of tripod-mount do you recommend. I have a D-300. I have a sehorn snoot for an s-2000
TomR1

Postby bvanant » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:52 am

TomR1 wrote:What kind of tripod-mount do you recommend. I have a D-300. I have a sehorn snoot for an s-2000

I use the gorilla pod tripod for putting my S2000 on. Works great and is easily adjustable underwater.
Bill

bvanant

Postby TomR1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:46 pm

You are using the original gorilla which is about 6" in overall length OR the one for DSLR which is about 9". I currently have both a backpacking tripod and a Vivitar pod with legs about the same as the original gorilla (6") and I am wondering if the 9" size is needed.

Shooting a s-2000 do you use sTTL or set the strobe on manual. If so what settings for macro using a Nikon Af-105VR. Also, have you ever used a Subsee +10. If so what strobe settings did you try.

Thanks,

Tom
_DQO5259_bubble_coral_shrimp_with.jpg
Subsee shot
TomR1

Postby TomR1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 am

For people thinking of trying this crazy idea:

At least the gear is reasonably cheap.....for underwater gear that is. A little over $200.

I purchased a seahorn snoot for a S2000. It seems to attach just fine. You simply install a couple of supplied velcro strips to the strobe.

I am not certain what tripod to use yet. I have one with 6" arms and ordered another that can extend to much longer arms.

I ordered a longer fibre optic sync cord so that I could have freedom of movement after placing the strobe.

If you carry a third strobe (I do), you can remotely fire the s-2000 from another strobe.

Do I have any idea how to use this contraption? NO. My thinking is that when i arrive on a nice sandy bottom without any current I'll set up the strobe/snoot/tripod aimed at a small immovable subject and see what happens.
TomR1

Postby bvanant » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

I am using the SLR Gorilla pod, works great underwater since it is only holding the S2000 with a home-made snoot (from plumbing parts). The older 6 inch gorilla didn't have enough bendiness for my use (typically on slopes). I put the S2000 in manual mode (full power mostly) for shooting with the snoot since I am aiming for a very small beam. I shoot my 100 macro lens with a Subsee +5 a lot and shoot it at 1/200 sec, f11 to f16 or so and use only the light from the snoot. The pic at the top of this thread was taken this way.

Bill

bvanant

Postby TomR1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Bill,

Thanks.
I will fool around with the snoot this may in Wakatobi and post some shots. Unfortunately Wakatobi doesn't have many opportunities for a zero-current, sandy bottom environment as does Bonaire.

I have a +10 subsee diopter and getting better with it is my primary goal.
TomR1

Next

Return to Underwater Photography Questions