"Squirting" Tunicates

Marine Life Id, Critter Books, Marine Life conservation news, etc.

Moderators: Leslie Harris, nwscubamom

Postby seekncritters » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 pm

I thought it was interesting to compare first shot with second shot of various tunicate photos from my dives in Resurrection Bay, Alaska. I wonder what caused these guys to "pucker up" after the first shot... Was it the strobe light or something else? Funny name, "sea squirt". It would be interesting to see HD video of these critters "squirting" (where is alaity or Mrs. bvanant when I need them?) :D

These are all Halocynthia aurantia (Sea Peach or Sea Squirt) shot with Canon SD 990 IS, Canon housing, Inon Z240 strobe. They are between the size of one and two of my fists put together.

F8, 1/250s, ISO 100, one strobe (manual control) (see the little hermit crab on there?)

F8, 1/250s, ISO 100, one strobe (manual control)

F8, 1/125s, ISO 100, one strobe (manual control)

:D

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby nwscubamom » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Cool shots! I know the first time I saw one of those guys when I was up in Canada, I thought it looked just like a HEART! Complete with aorta, etc.

Sea squirts/tunicates often do the "pucker up" thing when you approach them. They can sense the water movement/pressure of you getting closer I think. Some do it more than others.

Thanks for posting these.

- Janna
--------------
Janna Nichols
www.pnwscuba.com
Outreach Coordinator
www.REEF.org
nwscubamom

Return to Marine Life and Critters