Been Practicing with the new camera

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby TheWetRookie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Well, I have been Practicing with the "new" camera, A Canon Powershot A620 and just using the internal flash at this point. Unfortunately I don't remember the settings.

These were taken at a site called Whytecliff which is located in West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Depth was aproximately 50' and about 20' of vis.

a.jpg

e.jpg

g.jpg

q.jpg
Last edited by TheWetRookie on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B.
Cold water diving at it's best on the West Coast of Canada. Tons of life and diving here. -
Canon Powershot A620 with a Ikelite housing and sea life strobe
TheWetRookie

Postby TheWetRookie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

deleted
Last edited by TheWetRookie on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B.
Cold water diving at it's best on the West Coast of Canada. Tons of life and diving here. -
TheWetRookie

Postby TheWetRookie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Deleted
Mike B.
TheWetRookie

Postby smb2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:49 am

Looks like you have great subject matter. Good shots considering the fact that you were using just the internal flash.
Hopefully you will be able to add a strobe and then the colors will amaze you.
BTW, whats the water temp now? 29 c, 86 f here :P
smb2

Postby TheWetRookie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks, Yes we have a lot of life here.The water temp in the summer is between 50-60F average about 55F. The surface temp is about 65F right now. In the winter we average 45F and can get below 40F depending on where one is.

We these shots I was litterally just playing with the settings trying this and that and not writing anything down. I think this was my third dive with the camera. Thanks to however invented digital cameras so I/we don't have to worry about wasting film.

I was thinking about what settings I had things on and for these photos I think I had the aperature on f2.8 or 3.2 and with a moderate to high shutter speed. The internal flash was was set on the second of 3 settings. I am not positive though as I was not writing things down. I will have to start writing things down.
Mike B.
TheWetRookie

Postby bvanant » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Here is what the last picture looks like with a very minimal PS job to straighten out (more or less) the colors

Bill

If this bothers you then I will take it down immediately.

Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby TheWetRookie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Wow, I have some work to do and must learn how to photoshop or take better pics ;)

Thanks, that helps me in seeing what I can do with my pics and I am impressed since that is a compressed pic and not the original.

I hope to have the strobe on this week, still waiting for parts (arm and base)
Mike B.
TheWetRookie

Postby seekncritters » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:48 pm

You're capturing some great "moments", WetRookie! I love the lingcod with fish in its mouth! Can't wait to see more photos of the critters in Vancouver, and look forward to hearing how you like using the external strobe.

-Dana
seekncritters

Return to Underwater Photos