Candy Stripe Shrimp at Fidalgo Island

Post your photos for critique or praise

Moderators: Critternut, Willie, smb2

Postby northwestdiverdan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:57 am

Here's a couple of photos of a local Puget Sound favorite called Candy Stripe Shrimp Lebbeus grandimanus. They are not often seen with any regularity (these are my first), but if you carefully examine anemones you might spot them. I found these in a fairly high current site that local divers call Skyline Wall, on the western end of Fidalgo Island. (I had to hold onto the wall with one hand to keep from getting blown off to get these shots.)

Nikon D80
Ikelight DS125 and DS160 strobes
Nikon 60mm micro lens
1/60 sec f22 ISO 200

northwestdiverdan

Postby smb2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Great shrimp in a perfect setting. Macro ( you had to get pretty close with a 60 mm if these are as small as they look) with a housing, one handed in a current, nice work.

Just for fun can you flip #1 and maybe reduce the brightness in both shots while adding a bit more contrast? Although it may be my laptop screen.
smb2

Postby scottg » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:27 pm

very beautiful, I love the lighting. Was the shrimp moving around much? I'll bet these would also look great with a ring flash.

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby northwestdiverdan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 am

Haven't tried a ring light before...
Last edited by northwestdiverdan on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
northwestdiverdan

Postby northwestdiverdan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:48 am

scottg wrote:very beautiful, I love the lighting. Was the shrimp moving around much? I'll bet these would also look great with a ring flash.

Thanks! There were about 8 shrimp hanging out on the anemone. When I started to shoot they ran for cover down the body of the anemone. Their bodies are quite transparent, so I imagine that the best shot would be one with just water in the background. As it is they blend in with the anemone to the extent that there isn't very much contrast.
northwestdiverdan

Postby The.Cancerian » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:27 am

Great pictures!
Thanx for sharing.
The.Cancerian

Return to Underwater Photos