Some San Juan island slugs

Nudibranchs have a special place here. Share your photos and sightings!

Moderator: Dave Behrens

Postby northwestdiverdan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:26 pm

I had a nice couple of dives at San Juan Island in north Puget Sound yesterday and saw a couple of examples of nudibranchs that I haven't seen previous.

Here's a Dendronotus dalli, a type I haven't seen before

and a Eubranchus sanjuanensis (San Juan Aeolid), found next to several egg masses.

And while the Flabellina trilineata is fairly common around Puget Sound, this was a pretty nicely colored specimen.

Dan
northwestdiverdan

Postby seekncritters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Lovely! Congrats on the new find (D. dalli) ! The San Juan Aeolid looks pretty teeny...

I hope to get up to San Juan Islands soon to see some new nudies and other new critters (for me)!

Thanks for sharing!

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby northwestdiverdan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:55 pm

seekncritters wrote:Lovely! Congrats on the new find (D. dalli) ! The San Juan Aeolid looks pretty teeny...

I hope to get up to San Juan Islands soon to see some new nudies and other new critters (for me)!

Thanks for sharing!

-Dana

Thanks! The San Juans have some interesting critters not found in Puget Sound. They're more like Canadian waters than Puget Sound.
northwestdiverdan

Postby seekncritters » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:31 am

I've never seen Puget Sound either! A dive trip up Seattle/Everett way is in order! :-) By Canada do you mean Vancouver?
seekncritters

Postby northwestdiverdan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:07 pm

seekncritters wrote:I've never seen Puget Sound either! A dive trip up Seattle/Everett way is in order! :-) By Canada do you mean Vancouver?

Yes, we tend to refer to refer to Vancouver as the one in BC, the other one is usually called "Vancouver, WA". (Or at least I do!)

Dan
northwestdiverdan

Postby Kevin Lee » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Just now seeing and enjoying these beauts, Dan. The D. dalli is particularly striking. Nice find! K:-)
Kevin Lee

Return to Nudibranch Photos