S90 fibre optic set-up with Ike housing

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby Rick Rutkowski » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi all.
Just got the S90 + Ike housing + Ike W-20 (threads right to port) +S&S Ys-01 strobe. Small set-up for travel.
With IKE housing need to use strobe mask. I made a number of paper patterns in order to get the best possible positioning of the grommet over the internal flash. Problem is the Ike housing has a structural buttress that bisects the face of the internal flash. Also the size of the port limits the placement of the opening to read the internal flash. I ended up with the opening dead center on the left half of the strobe.
Now here's the issue...every thing works great except the internal flash must be at the medium setting rather than the low setting. sTTl works with Av/auto or manual internal flash; M works well; the W-20 topside is better than expected.
The front of the housing is masked from 11o'clock to 4 o'clock and up over the top.
Should I be concerned with backscatter or ?
r rutkowski
Rick Rutkowski

Postby bvanant » Fri May 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Backscatter will depend mostly on your strobe position. If you have the strobe perfectly colinear with your lens axis then yes. If your strobe is pointing a bit outward from the housing and you only light with the edge of the beam, backscatter should be minimum.
Bill

Bill Van Antwerp Canon/Nauticam/Subal/Inon Lots of glass

Technical Advisor to Bluewater Photo

http://www.blueviews.net

bvanant

Postby Rick Rutkowski » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

bvan
thanks; will keep the strobe outboard with WA lens; how about useing medium rather than low setting on internal flash (not withstanding battery draw issue).
Has anyone placed the strobe mask on the IKE housing with the S90? REsults?
r rutkowski
Rick Rutkowski

Postby Rick Rutkowski » Mon May 31, 2010 9:44 am

Scott...any input about setting up the FO on the IKE S90 housing so I can run internal flash at low setting?
r rutkowski
Rick Rutkowski

Postby James » Mon May 31, 2010 11:18 am

What I did on a previous Ikelite housing was to use the provided deflector as a pattern to cut a new one from .020 aluminum. I then installed the aluminum deflector on to the "Ikelite device" that clipped the plastic deflector/diffuser to the port.

Next, obtain from suppliers/eBay etc one of the Inon plugs. Install the Inon plug into the DIY deflector and now all you do is to plug your strobe cable in.

Pretty easy.

In this photo you can see my DIY aluminum (painted black) deflector with the Inon strobe plug installed. Here you can see the same Inon strobe plug "factory" installed in the DC35 Inon lens adapter kit:

Here again you can see my DIY version on my Ikelite housing along with my DIY macro lens experiment:

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby scottg » Mon May 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Rick Rutkowski wrote:Scott...any input about setting up the FO on the IKE S90 housing so I can run internal flash at low setting?

I'm not sure why you need to be on medium power. The s90 + fix housing fires strobes via fiber optics fine with the flash on low power.

Try to block as much of the internal flash as possible with reflective material on the inside, so that you are reflecting all of the internal flash light onto the "receptor" (exposed part) of your fiber optic cable - does that make sense?

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby Rick Rutkowski » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:15 pm

James... nice adaptation; I've been looking around for something to surround the external area of my IKE in front of the int flash; since this Ike housing has the deflector attached in a groove on the port, I will use a velcro attachment to the housing; my thought is that the FO grommet is too close to int flash since this housing only allows placement in front of the left side of the Int flash (limiting flash capture?), so by mounting in a 'box' like you did should capture more of the 'low setting' flash.
James, any problems with the FO cable coming in the top rather in front as with the 'strobe masks'?
Scott...I have the IKE housing , not Fix...the strobe just won't fire with low setting...medium works fine.
Off to the Mexican Caribe next week so will have to go with the current set up.
r rutkowski
Rick Rutkowski

Postby James » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:31 pm

The Inon receptacle has a small mirror at a 45 degree angle built in.

The deflector that I made above is bent sheet metal and it too installs into the grove in the Ikelite port using the plastic piece supplied with the Ike diffuser or deflector. Remove it from one of them and install it on the DIY version or epoxy the Inon plug to the Ike deflector.

You do not capture light, you got what you got. Your strobe is not as sensitive as the Inon units. If you are able to get the cable more centrally located you might do better.

Is the FO cable old? Sometimes the end needs to be renewed by cutting a new end.

James

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby Durham Diver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 am

James,
Just so I am clear - you mounted the sheet metal deflector to the ikelite deflector in such a way so as to still be able to clip the ikelite deflector into the housing groove - are they riveted together?
Regards
Michael
Durham Diver

Postby James » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:29 pm

No, I removed the plastic Ikelite deflector from the plastic clip (with spring) and made a sheet metal deflector and then attached it to the clip removed from the plastic Ikelite deflector.

The sheet metal deflector I built had a flange which I drilled to accept the Inon optical connector.

You might be able to use the Ikelite deflector and bond the connector with epoxy or a rivet etc.

James

James

Return to Compact Camera Corner