Housing Stress Fractures?

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby smb2 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Friends are visiting and they have a Canon G9 in a Canon housing.
They have done multiple dives with the camera without problems. It has never been dropped etc.
On this trip they did a 100 ft. dive and after the dive noted for the first time small fractures in the housing wall plastic. See photos. (These are not scratches.)
Any ideas? Send it to Canon? Normal wear and tear?
Attachments
212 7 200606.jpg
212 2 200606.jpg
212 4 200606.jpg
smb2

Postby James » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:25 am

Acrylic does not like any type of solvent, petroleum product or anything similar including alcohols etc to be used on, in or around the material. Silicone sprays, other than the "pump" type with 100% food grade liquid silicone should never be used on an acrylic housing.

I doubt the crazing, if indeed that is what it is, has anything to do with a 100 foot dive.

I doubt Canon will do anything for you, the OEM housings are considered by many as disposable, meaning they are not something that can be overhauled/repaired easily. If I am wrong there then a reference to a service center or repair facility would be useful to many of us for repair of housings that are several years old (as opposed to warranty replacement of defective new units).
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby seekncritters » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:02 pm

Yikes! That doesn't look good. I would not consider this normal wear and tear. I also doubt that was from stress from just a 100 ft dive...

I wonder... Do you know if the housing sat in direct sunlight for a long time? I believe ultraviolet radiation could contribute to something like this. Or if someone used windex or a solvent to clean it.

If it were me, I'd probably somehow get the housing replaced, since I don't think it can't be repaired. There's one on Amazon for $169. If it's under warranty with Canon, I'd probably send it to them. Depending on what type of insurance they have and how much it costs to replace the housing, it may not be worth it to file a claim.

Please keep us updated on what they found out, especially if they called Canon about it...

-Dana
seekncritters

Postby smb2 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:38 pm

I will pass it along.
They are back in Colorado. I am not sure how old the housing is,
but it is for a G9. I think I will try and have them send it to Canon
to see what the response is.
smb2

Return to Compact Camera Corner