help - canon questions

A place just for compact camera users. Ask questions or show off your wet lens setup.

Moderators: bvanant, CompuDude, James

Postby skim » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:11 pm

I've never posted on a blog before so I don't know the etiquette. I have both the G9 and G10 cameras and the 5D Mark1. I just purchased the canon underwater housing for the G9 because I was unable to obtain one for the G10 and I was too cheap and scared to purchase one for the dslr. I also purchased weights. I have never used the housing or attempted underwater photography so I have a few questions.

1) Weights. How many weights do I need for neutral buoyancy? It comes with 4.

2) Lighting. I am planning on diving in Fiji - probably around 80 feet. Does anyone know if I can get by with the built in flash system? Do I also need to purchase a strobe? If so, which one?

3) Settings. Can I use manual settings with the housing? I can't seem to figure out how to use the manual mode with the case on. Or should I just give up and set AP to about 5?

4) Strategy. Should I try to keep building on the G9 format or should I just save my cash and eventually pay for the dslr housing and build from there?

thanks.

sk
skim

Postby smb2 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:44 pm

http://www.uwphotographyguide.com/canon ... r-settings

This will get you started.
Should apply to the G9.
The compact users will hopefully answer the manual setting question but it can be done.
Start practicing various focus modes now especially with the macro setting.
Consider getting a wide angle port especially for Fiji.
Strobe(s) are a must if you want to be happy with the images you bring home.
We will wait for the results...good luck ;)
smb2

Postby cyberon » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:53 am

Yes, the G series can shot in manual. If you mean accessing both the shutter speed and aperture in the OEM housing, the trick is to first press and hold the shortcut button and then the metering button. This will then allow you to cycle between exposure type, aperture and shutter speed. You can then use the left right 4 way button to change either your aperture or shutter speed.
Ronald
Canon G11, Canon OEM housing, Inon S2000 and D4 bracket
cyberon

Postby James » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:58 am

You should be able to set your camera manually. I don't see how you could not have found a housing for the G10 since both Ikelite, FIX/Fisheye and Patima make currently a housing for the G10 and the G10 shoots RAW.

IMO, you need a strobe if you expect any color at 80 feet but many people take shots that satisfy themselves with the very limited on-board flash.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Postby skim » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will start playing with the camera this week and try the manual mode. I think it's funny the canon underwater housing does not come with directions or maybe mine were missing - just a reference to canon site and I'm not too savvy on finding info there. I'm looking forward to trying underwater photography.

Ikelite did have G10 housing but the canon housing was all backorder and canon does not make anymore since they launched the G11. I just assumed canon would have the best fit / housing for their camera. I will try the canon system on the dive. And then decide if I have to invest in more equipment for the G9 or just save and invest for the dslr. I'm still relatively new to scuba so trying the smaller camera first.

thanks again.

sk
skim

Postby CompuDude » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 pm

If you're still new to scuba, it's a good call to start with the simpler rig while you get fully comfortable managing new complex tasks in an underwater environment.

Eventually, you'll want to add an external strobe, but many start with the internal flash and are quite happy with the results, as long as you don't try to shoot beyond it's capabilities. There are many good tips on Scott's site for best practices using the internal flash, so happy reading!
-CompuDude
Photographer
Canon S90, Fisheye FIX housing, Inon D2000 strobe, Fisheye FIX Mini LED Focus Light, Inon UCL-165AD Macro Lenses x2, ULCS arms, Ikelite Handle/Tray with custom adapter plate
CompuDude

Postby James » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:58 pm

skim wrote: I just assumed canon would have the best fit / housing for their camera.

sk

That would be a wrong assumption just for your future information, the OEM housings are generally the most limited in capability, depth and lowest overall quality and durability and reliability.

James
Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, 2X Inon D2000 strobes, DIY tray, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UWL100-67 with dome kit, ordered Fisheye UWL-04
James

Return to Compact Camera Corner