Red Octo in a bottle

Marine Life Id, Critter Books, Marine Life conservation news, etc.

Moderators: Leslie Harris, nwscubamom

Postby northwestdiverdan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

I've been finding a small group of Red Octopus Octopus rubescens in close proximity at Redondo Beach in Puget Sound on each and every dive for the last few weeks. Each time I find the same bottle with what seems to be the same Red Octo poking out of it. Here's some photos of the bottle octo and a couple of nearby companions--

Nikon D80
60mm macro lens
Ikelight DS 125 and 160 strobes
northwestdiverdan

Postby scottg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:25 pm

that's funny. we have a redondo beach here in los angeles. on every night dive it's normal to see 10-20 red octopus. it must be nice to keep seeing the same octo. and I see you got some nudie by-catch!

Scott Gietler Owner/Editor, Underwater Photography Guide & Bluewater Photo http://www.uwphotographyguide.com http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com

scottg
Site Admin

Postby nwscubamom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Hey Dan! Fancy meeting you here! ;)

Awesome shots of the little Red. I like the one with the blueish outline. When we were in Monterey a couple weeks ago, I found a little Red that ATE a Blackeye Goby right before my eyes! Got to see it hunt, flare out and capture it, change colors in all sorts of funky ways to blend in with the scenery - even matching one of its arms to look just like a Giant Spined Sea Star that it was laying on top of.

They may not be Giant Pacifics, but they are quite entertaining!

Later,

- Janna :mrgreen:
--------------
Janna Nichols
www.pnwscuba.com
Outreach Coordinator
www.REEF.org
nwscubamom

Postby northwestdiverdan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Neat story on the red octo in Monterey Janna! Despite their small size I'm sure they're potent predators. I think i read somewhere that they're actually venomous?

In regards to the nudibranch, that's a tiny Opalescent Hermissenda crassicornis
northwestdiverdan

Return to Marine Life and Critters